The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanels Method for adding users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by duralinux, Dec 30, 2006.

1. duralinux

duralinux Registered

I'm trying to work out how cPanel adds new users to the system because I need to restrict users from seeing other users processes (such as in top, ps, who, etc.). We're using 'jailshell' right now but that doesn't do the job. I was considering a chroot but I first need to know how cPanel does it's thing. Anyone... anyone...? :)

Seth

2. nvez

nvez Active Member
    PartnerNOC

You might want to give /scripts/wwwacct a read, that is the script which is ran when cPanel is creating an account. There is also http://www.cpanel.net/docs/whm/Scripts.htm which is a small appendix of the /scripts/ directory.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

cPanel doesn't do anything special when creating the unix account during wwwacct, it's a standard entry in /etc/passwd, etc. If you want to use your own shell then you would modify it as usual in /etc/passwd and add it into /etc/shells

4. duralinux

duralinux Registered

Still Stuck On User Restrictions

Hey again, and thank you for the previous replies. After rtfm'ing and poking around I'm still at a loss on how to restrict access to the items I first listed. The problems seems to lie in how the users are added to the server. Each user is a member of their own group and only their group. So I can't easily use group policies to control access. I need to prevent users from running who (w), df, mount, users and netstat, and I need to restrict top, ps, last and lastlog. I thought about the $PATH variable but that will prevent the users from running other applications as well. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can do this without breaking things?

Thanks for your time,
    Seth