The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel's way of doing things, clicks in the panel, dns for subdomains, cumbersome

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by hariskhan, May 10, 2006.

1. hariskhan

hariskhan Well-Known Member

Hello,

I want to understand why cpanel does the way it is handles. I want to discuss two issues in this thread;

1) DNS for sub-domains
    2) Too many clicks in the panel. Adding multiple entries, a pain
    3) ftpd changed on convert2maildir

; ====================================================

1) DNS for sub-domains

cPanel's way of deploying subdomains is;

i) Either create a subfolder within the main account

OR

ii) Create a new account altogether for the subdomain

As bad as the idea seems, some of cpanel's customers may need subdomains to be setup as i), but I hope most want them setup as ii).

It seperates the account, the home folder, ftp, db, but the zone file remains the same. But! there are a million zone files, if you have many sub-domains. With plesk, it manages all the dns for one zone in one file.

=> Why does cpanel make multiple zone files for sub-domains? Why not manage them in 1 file?

; ====================================================

NOTE: I know this part of the Q belongs to cPanel forum, but its a question of policy and to my knowledge whm is the tool that is used to manage and enforce policies through cpanel. Thus I'm putting it in this thread, rather than creating a new thread for it in cPanel forum.

2) Too many clicks in the panel. Adding multiple entries, a pain

While adding up;

- Email accounts
    - Databases
    - Forwarders
    - Subdomains

is a pain!

I recently had to shift a 75 GB portal consisting of 17 websites and I was made to remember how multiple clicks can be a pain in the ass. Why can't cpanel employ a form like Yahoo has for email attachments (one can add multiple attachments in through one form). In essence, I want a form!, through which I can add multiple! entries at the same! time.

A feature cpanel still lacks! Its been 6 years, and you guys haven't put it in; support for adding up multiple entries through 1 form. We still have to go through many clicks in the panel to get 1 entry made.

2. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

Why dont you ask the cpanel developers. Nobody here knows why they do things the way they do.

Who says they create multiple zone files for each subdomain. Maybe you have been seriously misinformed or you need to look again. If you create 400 subdomains each subdomain is contained in one zone file. Now it a different story if you start creating a hosting account for each subdomain like some people do, then it will be multiple zone files.

#2 jackie46, May 10, 2006
    Last edited: May 10, 2006
  3. hariskhan

hariskhan Well-Known Member

Seperate accounts per subdomain scenario

Exactly!

I'v created a seperate account for each subdomain. I remember plesk managing the dns zone in 1 file. Why can't cpanel do the same? :)

Its just a matter of text file editing.. ;)

#3 hariskhan, Jun 9, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2006