The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpBackup and Incremental Old Files

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Graywolfie, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Graywolfie

Graywolfie Member

I have what is probably an easy question but cannot seem to find a specific answer in the forums/documentation. I have an account on a server that has 10,000+ image files removed/replaced 6 days a week. I have changed backups on the sever, 70+ accounts, to incremental due to high load issues.

Question is, will the backup file grow due to those image files being replaced daily and copying the changed to the backup, or are removed files from the source removed from the backup thus keeping the size similar to the original?

If they aren't removed from the backup, how do you keep from having hundreds of thousands of files accumulated in the backup?

Thanks for any insight/suggestions.

2. parelytic

parelytic Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Usually with incremental backup enabled on the system, the backup process will only backup or remove the files which have been changed on the account since the last backup. It's unlikely that the backup process would store the files which have been removed since the last backup, so the only way the backup can grow is if the account itself is growing.

3. Graywolfie

Graywolfie Member

Thank you parelytic. My main concern was that deleted source files were retained in the backup. I've also received a similar answer from support at my web hosting company.