The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpbackup cron - reset to 1am?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by 4u123, Jul 8, 2010.

1. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I changed the running time of cpbackup on all my servers via crontab. I've just noticed they have all been set back to 1am.

Is there a process that would do this - i.e if I ran /scripts/upcp --force?

2. serlex

serlex Well-Known Member

You should see /scripts/cpbackup in the cron or just cat /var/spool/cron/root

if not, i believe its /scripts/upcp that handles it if cpbackups is not in cron.

3. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Sorry but I dont think you understood the question.

I'm not asking where the cron is located. The entry isnt missing. I'm explaining that I changed the time of the cron for cpbackup via crontab but the time has now changed back to 1am. I am assuming that some automated process or other manually run script has caused this to be reset. I didnt manually change it again myself.

4. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

The only thing that can reset the time back to 1AM is upcp but haven't heard anyone complaining so far...

5. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Can you confirm that only a /scripts/upcp --force will reset the backup cron time to 1am? The scheduled upcp wont do this will it?

6. Miraenda

Miraenda Well-Known Member

Running /scripts/upcp --force would not change the crontab -e entries for upcp and cpbackup times. There is no process cPanel uses to my knowledge that should revert these times if you've changed them from the defaults set by cPanel (cPanel only checks to see if the entry exists, if it does already, it doesn't change the times). While there is a cPanel plugin to modify the upcp and cpbackup times in WHM, that plugin doesn't reset the times (it only allows you to modify them from their existing time settings). In fact, there's no process cPanel uses that restarts crond either, so one way to check if it is cPanel doing it or something else entirely is to stop crond on the system for a day. If it restarts on its own, it's something else modifying the crons in some manner.

Do you happen to be on a VPS machine? I've only seen this happening on VPS machines where the main node was reverting cron times for backups to stagger them on the system (to ensure that each VPS node didn't run them at the same time on the server).

#6 Miraenda, Jul 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  7. LDHosting

LDHosting Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  8. Miraenda

Miraenda Well-Known Member

Interesting as I ran /scripts/upcp --force on mine, but I was using my EDGE box. Let me re-test it on my CURRENT one to see the results as the EDGE box did not reset the cron times but it is on 11.25.1 (and upcp in the past has never done this on my machines).

Edit: Actually, that thread doesn't indicate scheduled normal upcp would do this at all but that whenever the main crontab is edited (such as when there's a major update from 11.24.5 to 11.25.0 had). This isn't a common behavior at all. If the cpbackup and/or upcp cron times are reverting nightly, it doesn't appear likely that upcp is doing it. For example, my cron times aren't changing on my machines. A regular /scripts/upcp --force didn't change the cron times (I just completed a forced upcp on my machine in CURRENT with the same results that the crontab -e times remained that I had and were not reverted, and these machines already have scheduled upcp each night without changing my pre-set times on them). If a nightly change is happening, it shouldn't be upcp doing this based on my tests, it's something else.

#8 Miraenda, Jul 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  9. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

This happened at some point in the last week. It causes a serious issue.

We are backing up to a shared NFS mount and it is crucial for us to spread the backups out over 24 hours. If all the servers try to backup to the network storage at the same time we get serious problems. Some servers end up with massive load issues and become inaccessable - we have to reboot them at the data center. Obviously the backups do not complete.

We should be able to change the cron entries and ensure that they are not changed by upcp at any time. I'm really disappointed in cpanel for causing this problem. It takes a lot of time to work out the backup schedule and set up each server's crontab individually. I've now got to do this all over again, with no idea when it might just get set back again by a cpanel update. I dont want to play russian roulette with my server backups!

Totally unacceptable.

10. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

That's how I read it as well. Something else is going on if the cron is being reset nightly. cPanel is not resetting it

11. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Who said their cron was being reset nightly?

12. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    See thread title you provided.

13. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

The title is "cpbackup cron - reset to 1am?"

Where does that say the cron is being reset nightly? I didnt say, or suggest that this was happening every day.

The cron time has been reset to 1am on all servers. I didnt say it was being rest at 1am.

14. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

Better? :rolleyes:

15. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Better?

No.

cPanel is resetting the cron time as confirmed by Ken in the thread that has been linked to earlier.

There isnt any other process that would reset the cron time back to 1am other than upcp which in this case is run on a schedule. It would seem to occasionally reset the cron times when there is an important update.

This is most definately caused by the cpanel update. Nobody ever suggested this was happening daily - you made that up all by yourself.

It should be noted that this occasional behaviour is most unwanted and causes major problems for us and surely for others too. We set up a specific backup schedule to ensure that our servers are getting the most out of the resources available. It is totally inappropriate for cpanel to edit the crontab via upcp at any time and set these all back to 1am without any warning.

There needs to be some sort of exclude flag that can be set to prevent upcp from setting the cron schedules of cpbackup to the cpanel default settings. Or ideally cpanel need to stop their updates from making such changes at all.