Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

CPbackup Date & Owner issues.

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by kejebe, Jul 12, 2011.

1. kejebe

kejebe Registered

CPbackup Date & Owner issues (updated)

I currently have cpbackup set to backup all accounts on my machine onto a second drive.

Here are the problems I'm encountering.

#1 cpbackup doesn't copy the original directories creation date. Instead the directories are given the date cpbackup made the first backup of that directory.

#2 cpbackup also doesn't copy over the owner of the files. All files are changed to root.

I was thinking I could resolve these problems by just rysncing the accounts public_html directories myself while still having cpbackup do a backup excluding the data in the public_html directory via the cpbackup-exclude.conf.

My thinking is by having cpbackup still process the backup excluding the public_html directory I will have a copy of each accounts configuration settings and mysql data required if I need to restore an account.

Lets say I need to migrate to a new server. Will I have enough information backed up to have WHM on the new server recreate the accounts just as they were on the old machine? I will have all the public_html data that I can rsync back myself.. I'm just concerned that I have enough data so I don't have to go back in and manually set up each account in the new WHM.

Could someone tell me if my logic is correct?

Sincerely,
    Kevin.

#1 kejebe, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011