The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpbackup gzip always causing high server load

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by hbhb, Dec 7, 2007.

1. hbhb

hbhb Well-Known Member

my server backup process often causes high server load.

in fact my PentiumD server with 4GB RAM is showing server load 95.01 (2 cpus) now.

while the rest of my server seems to be fine even though backup are running.

i can't do top or anything inside SSH, it just hang over there. All I can do is reboot the server and stop the backup, what should I do?

2. serversignature

serversignature Well-Known Member

hi,

Check if your kernel is same as that of the other servers running fine during backup.

Example:

~$ uname -a
    Linux ub-test 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Sun Oct 14 23:05:12 GMT 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

You can also try to fnd out other process that's using much of the CPU and Memory using the simple command below during backup, run the command as root.

~$ ps auxfw |grep -v 0.0

3. Silent Ninja

Silent Ninja Well-Known Member

My server does the same, when it comes the time to cp / tar / gzip an account with 1gb of disk used or even more, it takes millenium to finish (if it does end someday) but server load just flyes up to infinitium, up to 200 load some times.

I've fixed it temporarily using the "cpulimit" command (you can download the soft from sourceforge) to limit cpu consumption of all 3 (cp/tar/gzip) to 30% but i'm affraid that cpuwatch doesn't do anything, and I don't want to be "patching" every webserver.

4. boatdesign

boatdesign Well-Known Member

Can you change from tar.gz backups to incremental backups? I've found the tar.gz backup just too IO-intensive on servers that don't have either SAS/SCSI or raid subsystems and are using just single disks once you get some large sites involved. Incremental works like a charm though as it only copies the changed files.

5. bjdea1

bjdea1 Well-Known Member

Response

Sounds good

#5 bjdea1, May 14, 2008
    Last edited: May 14, 2008