cpbackup -- incremental mode query

anup123

Mar 29, 2004
This Planet
incremental mode backup is running w/o any problems and had tried recovering from the backup and it's all fine. However, the cpbackup cron mail, contains something like this also for each account backed up (incremental mode):

pkgacctfile is: /backup/cpbackup/daily/username.tar.gz

However, incremental mode backup runs with no compression. These *.gz's are not found anywhere. So why does the cpbackup mail contains the above message? This is a bit confusing. Can someone enlighten me on this plz!

TIA
Anup

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
It looks like it's because the cpbackup script uses /scripts/pkgacct to generate the backup and then deletes the tar.gz afterwards if it's incremental, so you're getting the message from pkgacct (if I'm reading the script right). If it bothers you, log it in bugzilla.

anup123

Mar 29, 2004
This Planet
I always thought that after the first run, if there are barely 1000 files changing incremental backup's would be faster and also less resource intensive. But as always, cpbackup, incremental mode or otherwise has always been an ever running process.... 4 hours for 1000 files, i could copy 40000 files totalling to 2 gb using scp across two remotely located servers in that period of time. Barely 1000 changed files daily and it takes three to four hours on a dual cpu machine which never kicks load beyond 0.5

:/

Anup