The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpbackup permissions errors - can you clarify that it's a problem with my host?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by density5, Dec 7, 2010.

1. density5

density5 Member

I've been having errors backing up on our dedicated server for some time now and haven't been able to come up with a solution. There are a quite a few threads with similar issues but none of them have a solution that works. I suspect there is something wrong with the permissions our host (Heart Internet) grants us on our NFS share and wanted to clarify this with cpanel experts before I submit a ticket with them.

I'm backing up using WHM's daily incremental backup. I don't have enough quota on the backup drive for anything else. The backup drive is NFS mounted thus:

I don't know much about NFS, but everything seems to be owned by uid 622, which does not appear in my /etc/passwd, and permissions aren't very friendly:

Here's some samples of the errors we're getting:

Not that I care about Frontpage, but I have tried excluding these dirs in /etc/cpbackup-exclude.conf but nothing changes:

Now for the account backups. Most of these backup without error, however there is one Drupal site that fails on the dirs and folders which are writable by apache. Obviously there are a lot of cached files here but there are also files uploaded by our client via the Drupal back end:

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    This isn't a cPanel issue, this is a permission issue, something you need to resolve with your host.
    Either you're using too much space (possible), you have the wrong space mounted (again, possible), or your host hasn't configured the share properly. In many cases it's the last, but you should check with them and have them fix the problem on their end first.

3. density5

density5 Member

Thanks for your reply, I know we're not over quota and it's the correct mount (according to their instructions anyway), I had previously raised a ticket with them but they seem to have just deleted the old backups and not changed the permissions. I shall raise another ticket :mad:

4. Kaurin

Kaurin Registered

Hello, I have the exact same issue (cpanel backup over nfs via rsync). Did you manage to resolve this? Thanks in advance!

5. density5

density5 Member

No, it has never been resolved. I am convinced it is the setup of the NFS share causing the problem as many WHM users are using the backup script without any issues.

6. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We do have reports of NFS with flock() system calls. The flock() process will lock the backup to avoid anything else writing to it and can cause another process to be unable to write. In this instance in a prior ticket where this was reported, one user corrected the issue happening by switching to NFSv4, but I'm not certain if this is what you might already be using.

If you are unable to get this resolved, I would suggest using a different system than NFS for the backups.

7. Kaurin

Kaurin Registered

Thank you for your replies! I will start looking into NFS with a lot more detail. Will keep you posted if i manage to find an appropriate solution.

8. Kaurin

Kaurin Registered

Sorry for the double post, just wanted people to get a notification after I reply to this thread.

I have tried modifying /etc/exports on the NFS host machine with the no_root_squash option. It fixed the first batch of errors (regarding the creation of special files - null, random and zero).

we have around 100 sites on the NFS client machine, and i don't know how to locate these files, since my logs are not giving me enough info. Searching manually gives me around 30 hits... (It is not excluded that this is a file system error on the NFS client machine). Here are the errors:

Code:
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/captcha.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/sendthread.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/showthread.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/modcp.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/xmlhttp.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/private.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/forumdisplay.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/css.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/newreply.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/warnings.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/stats.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/rss.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/reputation.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/memberlist.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/printthread.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/attachment.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/polls.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/moderation.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/usercp2.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/misc.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/ratethread.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/index.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/task.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/report.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/announcements.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/showteam.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/global.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/managegroup.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/usercp.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/calendar.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/portal.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/htaccess.txt: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/member.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/syndication.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/search.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/editpost.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/online.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/forum/newthread.php: Cannot open: Permission denied
    Moving on.

The cpbackup also took a lot of time to complete (24hours+?), and since we set up our backups to be daily with weekly and monthly retensions, another cpbackup process started at 00:00 - which is bad.
    I have currently stopped all further backups, removed any backups made, and set the whm/tweak options for the cpu load threshold to be more tolerant. (I had a slew of "waiting for load to go down" errors). Also, beside density5's errors and mine, we have also been seeing a lot of quota errors (1 quota error per user if i'm not mistaken), but i guess those can be ignored.

I will post again once i try cpbackup again.

In the meantime, it would be very nice if someone would give some advice on optimal host and client NFS settings :)