The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpbackup restore problems

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by espsoft, Nov 30, 2005.

1. espsoft

espsoft Member

Hasn't the backup function been fixed yet?

I had to rebuild a VPS and so did a backup of all my accounts. The first problem is that cpbackup didn't feel like backing up everything so I lost several accounts that must now be created from scratch.

The second problem is that on the accounts that were backed up, not alll the information from the account is there. For instance, one of the accounts had over 50 forwarding email accounts for his unit's membership. After doing the restore, I only show that 4 were there, so it missed 46 of the forwarders.

When is this going to be fixed and in the interim, how do I verify that what was backed up was actually restored? If in this one instance it has all the accounts, then I would like to be able to retore them.

2. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

I noticed also that almost all of the valiases files were not properly restored when doing a server restore, and the same with the DNS zones. Both files had missing data on multiple sites. That was real bad when the mailman forwards were not there! I manually reinstalled both (and incremented the serial number -thanks chirpy).

#2 lloyd_tennison, Nov 30, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
  3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Most problems that I've seen with restores are because of limitations in packages that are being applied as you restore an account where the restored account has had additions made manually. For example, if you disable add-on domains, but enable it to add one to a clients account and then disable them again. Other than that, I've never had a problem with the cPanel full backups so long as the server is configured in the same way as it was before restoring.

4. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

I just know that I have valias files with 40 or 50 entries and when I do a restore only a few remain. All the one that went to two places - not just one - seems to be the deciding factor. If you have two aliases for the same email address, it will only restore the first one and drop the second entry.

I am upgrading my drive this weekend and will be doing exactly that - so let's see what happens then. I will have exact files to compare.

#4 lloyd_tennison, Dec 2, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2005