The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpbandwd uses all memory / hangs server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by esolutions, Jul 26, 2007.

1. esolutions

esolutions Member

Hi, I'm currently having a bad problem with cpbandwd. When it starts, it uses up all the RAM and causes the server to become unresponsive. Has anyone seen this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please see details below.

This is a cPanel server that is being used only for email. The load of email is pretty heavy, almost 33,000 per hour if you count sender verification failures and unexpected disconnections. As a result the log files are pretty large, but not way out of line. The maillog is usually about 250-300 MB when they get rotated and the exim_mainlog is about 140 - 170 MB (we had to start rotating that one every day).

Yesterday the load increased so that the server became unresponsive and we had to reboot it twice before we found that the problem was being caused by cpbandwd. We killed the process and everything was fine. This morning I tried running /scripts/runlogsnow to see if the problem was still there and I almost lost the server again within 15 seconds. cpbandwd immediately paged out all the RAM and saturated the swap drive with requests.

WHM 11.1.0 cPanel 11.4.19-R14379
    REDHAT Enterprise 4 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

2. cPDan

cPDan cPanel Staff
    Staff Member

Hello,

Excellent details. I'm reviewing our code currently to see where thi smight happen. In the meantime: this could happen if File::Tail was not using a buffer and the initiial read (or subsequent reload if it was rotated) was very large. Since we don't set a buffer size it should default to 16384 bytes.

What does this output as roto via SSH:

perl -MFile::Tail -le 'print $File::Tail::VERSION;print $];'

3. cPDan

cPDan cPanel Staff
    Staff Member

I see one place that is a bit inefficient and have a patch for it. If you create a ticket I'd be happy to apply this patch to your box to see if that helps or not, and if not investigate it further :)

thanks, please let me know the ticket ID and mark it 'ATTN Dan'

thanks!

4. cPDan

cPDan cPanel Staff
    Staff Member

You can do that at support.cpanel.net :)

5. esolutions

esolutions Member

Thank you for your quick response and attention to this problem.

Here is the output of the perl command:

Code:
    root@vinemail [/home/admin]# perl -MFile::Tail -le 'print $File::Tail::VERSION;print $];'
    root@vinemail [/home/admin]#

I have created a support ticket as you requested.
    The Request ID is 202984

Thanks again.