The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPenal loading slow! incorrect installation?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AL-Kateb, Feb 27, 2010.

1. AL-Kateb

AL-Kateb Active Member

Hello everyone, i have been using WHM/cPanel for a while though it's first time for me installing it.

in the beginning i did not know that cPanel will install all the needed packages .. so i went installing stuff! when i was about to install dns server i was thinking! why dont i google this a little bit : ) and i realized that was not correct! i should not have installed all that stuff.

though i installed latest cPanel release assuming it will remove things for me and install the packages it needs.

well things seemed to be going alright and i finished the installation! but different thigns were loading so slow which made me think it's cos of some of the softwares i installed or something similar.

though my server has 12 GB of ram and 4 CPUs so there is noway this is hardware issue nor due to slow internet connection cos i am connecting to another server and it's loading just fine.

to be specific what's loading slow the most is "manage plugins" and it even does not load ... it shows nothing at the end!.

so what do you suggest?
    thanks in advance.

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Are there any messages logged at the same time of the specific page being loaded via WHM? Please try checking the cPanel error_log as accessed via the following file system path:
    Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log
    To help clarify my understanding of the symptom, please let us know which of the following is more correct or best applies to the situation; does the issue, (1), occur immediately when loading the "Manage Plugins" page in WHM, or does the issue, (2), occur only after submitting information on the page to perform an action, such as an install or removal of a plug-in?

3. AL-Kateb

AL-Kateb Active Member

well : ) sorry about the post! it was all my post i checked he error log and there were typos in the resolv.conf

now it's working fine!

thanks for ur help : )

but what about the software i installed before installing cpanel? should i not worry about this .. like it's not gonna cos me problems?

4. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Without knowing exactly what was installed it is difficult to know with certainty how much of a problem it will be; however, it is recommended to not install any extra software or services other than the minimal "base" Operating System distribution. Issues may arise if the extra software conflicts with services that are installed and managed by cPanel, such as installing RPMs (precompiled binary packages) of Apache/httpd, Apache modules, and or PHP instead of allowing EasyApache to automatically build (compile) the components from source during the installation process. The cPanel installer will attempt to remove packages that are known to to conflict but there is a chance that unforeseen circumstances could still occur, thus as a precaution it is best to use a minimal OS install as the starting point and then immediately proceed to install cPanel.

I recommend reviewing our official documentation that details installation procedures and troubleshooting information:
    cPanel Installation Guide
    Quick Start Installation Guide

5. AL-Kateb

AL-Kateb Active Member

i installed a bunch of RPMs before installation cPanel .. though i should have checked the documentations first ...
    well it looks good so far and seems there are no problems currently but i don't know! it might just arise in the future!

well i will tell you what i have installed so if there is anything that cPanel did not automatically remove tell me and i will go ahead and remove it.

groups:
    'Development Tools'
    'Development Libraries'

softwares:
    quota

ntp httpd mysql-server php php-mysql php-mbstring php-mcrypt phpmyadmin rpm-build gcc mysql-devel openssl-devel cyrus-sasl-devel pkgconfig zlib-devel pcre-devel openldap-devel postgresql-devel expect libtool-ltdl-devel openldap-servers libtool gdbm-devel pam-devel gamin-devel

courier-authlib
    courier-imap
    maildrop
    postfix
    getmail
    amavisd-new spamassassin clamav clamd unzip bzip2 unrar perl-DBD-mysql

php php-devel php-gd php-imap php-ldap php-mysql php-odbc php-pear php-xml php-xmlrpc php-eaccelerator php-mbstring php-mcrypt php-mhash php-mssql php-snmp php-soap php-tidy curl curl-devel perl-libwww-perl ImageMagick libxml2 libxml2-devel mod_fcgid php-cli httpd-devel

pure-ftpd

and that's all

sorry there are some duplicates as i was following a tutorial.

i know it would be the best if i do re installation now but this is production machine and it would really upset customers to get the server down again for few hours after the migration was done.

i did re-compile apache and php using easy apache is this supposed to overwrite the previous installed versions of apache and php i guess?

Thanks a lot for your time

6. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    The above items should be OK.

In the list of other software items, the most obvious packages I see that should not be there in a clean install are Apache/httpd (including Apache/httpd module RPMs such as mod_fcgid), getmail, mysql, maildrop, php, and postfix.

A few others are able to be installed by cPanel if not already, such as SpamAssassin (via "/scripts/installspam") and ClamAV (via WHM: Main >> cPanel >> Manage Plugins >> clamavconnector). I would ensure to not have the equivalent/conflicting RPM installed before proceeding to install SA via the aforementioned script or before installing the aforementioned ClamAVconnector plugin via WHM.

Please note that there is inherent risk involved if attempting to remove conflicting packages after cPanel installation is completed, in that one would need to ensure the software involved is still functional after RPM removal; it may be necessary to run the individual installer or script for the component to ensure the software still works, such as running EasyApache for Apache/httpd, PHP, and any desired Apache modules. The safest option and only supported method is to ensure the system starts as a clean, minimal install of the OS without any extraneous software packages.