Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED cPHulk with CSF?

Discussion in 'Security' started by net@work, Apr 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. net@work

net@work Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I want to make 2 questions:

1- Is good tactic to have both cPHulk and CSF enable?
    I setup csf to block SMTP, IMAP, POP3 attempts! So is good choice to have also cPHulk run?

2- If cPHulk blogs a bruteforce attack for an email is possible no one (include legitimate users) can't login to emails because of that bruteforce attack?

Example:

I have 3 emails: test@example.com , test2@example.com , test3@example.com

If someone makes a bruteforce attack to test@example.com and cPHulk stops that attack then no one can't login to test@example.com , test2@example.com , test3@example.com ?

Any help is highly appreciated!!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

One advantage to using both CSF and cPHulk for brute force protection is that CSF can automatically block the offending IP addresses, whereas cPHulk only does that if you enable an option to block the IP address at the firewall level.

As far as access to the accounts that are brute force, you can review the documentation for "Username-based Protection" versus
    "IP Address-based Protection" at:

cPHulk Brute Force Protection - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Let us know if that helps.

Thank you.

3. net@work

net@work Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for the response @cPanelMichael !

I read the documentation and if I can understand clearly if someone bruteforce an email account then all legitimate users are blocked also with the stranger who made the bruteforce!

I have a client that says all users are blocked from receive/send/login to email server!

I see the cPHulk history and I see that someone from other country has made a bruteforce attack to one email account!

That result makes also legitimate users has no access to all the email accounts of that cPanel account!!

How is that possible? cPHulk also deny legitimate IP's/User's from login? My client has right?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

cPHulk blocks logins from any IP addresses to an account that is under a brute force attack, regardless of the attackers' IP address or addresses, when "Username-based Protection" is enabled. If you prefer to avoid this behavior, you can disable "Username-based Protection" and instead use "IP Address-based Protection". This will block logins the IP addresses making the attack, as opposed to the entire account username. The downside to only using "IP Address-based Protection" is that attackers may keep using different IP addresses after getting blocked.

Thank you.

net@work likes this.
  5. net@work

net@work Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @cPanelMichael !

Thank you for this answer! Now I can understand fully how cPHulk works!!! :)

cPanelMichael likes this.