Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED cphulkd much too agressive

Discussion in 'Security' started by Lethe, Jun 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Lethe

Lethe Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello,

I recently signed up to a web hoster using cPanel. After setting up a single email account and having it sync'ed with 3 clients. I get blocked *all the time*.

Since I'm on a dynamic IP, what do I request from my hosting provider? I can't simply ask them to whitelist me, and they're getting tired of removing the blocks every other day.

How can I get around that without moving my MX record to a more "normal" host?

Thanks

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You're accessing that one email account using IMAP settings on 3 devices, is that right?

3. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Forgive me if I am way off base here, but I thought that cPHulk only triggered on failures

Even if you are using an IP dynamically assigned by your ISP to connect to you email accounts, I should have thought that successful connections would not count toward a cPHulk block.

Perhaps one, or more, of your clients is intermittently failing to authenticate for some reason ?

Also check that the issue is not being caused because your host has configured cPanel to require IMAP/POP and SMTP to use username and password authentication. You may find that the act of sending is what is triggering the failure.

Similarly, if you are relying on it, check that the host has not disabled 'Pop-before-SMTP' (Allow users to relay mail if they use an IP address through which someone has validated an IMAP or POP3 login within the last hour)

The only other consideration is that, since I believe that cPHulk blocks ALL logins to the account once triggered, I wonder if you are just getting caught up in a general brute force attack on the account ?

HTH

#3 rpvw, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  4. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

It may not be cphulk. but the actual firewall that may be monitoring the connection to the port. If you have only a cPanel account, then I doubt that they will relax firewall settings for you, especially on a shared server.. You have to limit the number of connections you make if your host does relax settings for you..

5. Lethe

Lethe Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks everyone, here's what happened in case it can help anyone else.

I was using hosting provider 1, that went MIA.
    I signed up to hosting provider 2 and kept the same config for my mail clients, except password since I cloned the mail config on the new provider.

Well turns out I had an outdated password on a mobile device pounding the server with wrong password, so I would get blocked. Hosting provider helped me pinpoint it with the error in CPhulkd (it provided the LAN address).

cPanelMichael likes this.