The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpimap and secure password authentication?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wa7son, Sep 26, 2005.

1. wa7son

wa7son Member

Hi :)

I am told by my e-mail client (Thunderbird) that my IMAP server does not support secure authentication.

I am using the out-of-the-box cpimap service. The problem with cpimap is that I can't seem to find any documentation on it. Is this because cpimap is just an alias for an underlying service that is just cPanel branded, or?

The server lets me use a secure connection (SSL), but as described I am not allowed to use secure authentication.

Does anybody have a solution for this? How do I set up cpimap to offer secure authentication?

/thomas

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Currently the default cPanel IMAP daemon is based on UWIMAP. The alternative is to convert to the new maildir format (beware of the implications of doing so), this will install the Courier IMAP server instead. You'd have to check the documentation of each of those to see if they support secure authentication. That said, if you can connect using IMAP over SSL it is by implication secure anyway.

3. wa7son

wa7son Member

Thanks for the info :)

Is the conclusion that cpimap/UWIMAP doesn't support secure authentication?

If so - and if I then where to switch to maildir - what are disadvantages / implications you speak of?

/thomas

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The implications are that:

1. You can no longer use Neomail (it's incompatible with the maildir format)

2. If you have any other custom scripting apps that access email expecting mbox instead of mailder format

That's about it really. As for the different versions, you should probably check their web sites:
    http://www.washington.edu/imap/
    http://www.courier-mta.org/

5. wa7son

wa7son Member

Thnx for the links... If possible I would like to keep using cpimap/UW IMAP. I had a look at their FAQ and found that they indeed supported secure password authentication. I think that I will be using the Kerberos V5 method. According to their FAQ it is easy to setup UW IMAP to use Kerberos when you build it, but in my case I would like to avoid that if possible. Can anybody tell me if cpimap is already build with Kerberos support?

/thomas