The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPL blocking my IP address

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eville, Apr 10, 2006.

1. eville

eville Member

Hi Everyone,

I am having problems with our outgoing e-mails being blocked by CPL. This occurs when sending e-mails via webmail.

SMTP is not configured with this server (i think its because my ISP blocks port 25, havent bothered to fix this yet)

We are running cpanel on 1 IP address and using a DNS host (everydns).

According to this thread it sounds like I need to properly configure my hostname.

I have tried to set up a hostname before but came to the conclusion that it is not possible when running Cpanel on 1 IP address. Am I wrong about this? Could i just set up a hostname with Exim and not cpanel?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You need to establish why emails aren't being sent out first. To do that you should tail /var/log/exim_mainlog (on linux) and watch for errors/messages.

What you're asking about hostnames doesn't quite make sense. You can set the servers hostname in WHM > Hostname and you then need to add an A record to the zone of the domain that the hostname belongs to and point it to the main IP address.

3. eville

eville Member

Cbl

my mistake, i wrote CPL, i meant CBL (composite blocking list) is blocking my IP. This is an explanation: http://cbl.abuseat.org/lh.html

E-mails are being blocked on the receiving end by server software. When i first discovered this problem I got a return to sender citing: "blackhole site www.spamhaus.org"

I have tailed the log before to see if someone has hijacked the server and set up spam software. This does not appear to be the case. I just tailed the log while sending an e-mail to: helocheck@cbl.abuseat.org this is what i got:

2006-04-11 14:48:14 1FTNuM-0004BK-Ao ** helocheck@cbl.abuseat.org R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<helocheck@cbl.abuseat.org>: host mail.cbl.abuseat.org [216.168.28.54]: 550 Your HELO name for IP address **.**.**.** was "localhost.localdomain"
    2006-04-11 14:48:14 1FTNuQ-0004BQ-BQ <= <> R=1FTNuM-0004BK-Ao U=mailnull P=local S=1490

In terms of the hostname question the reason why i thought it would help was because of this thread: http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=44893&highlight=cbl

I am going to try to set up an A record with everydns. Will i have to set up a hostname for every domain, or just one?

#3 eville, Apr 11, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

You just need to set a hostname on the server itself. This will techincally be a subdomain of any of domain in the box. You can do this through WHM.

You should also have reverse DNS set up so that your server's main IP resolves to the hostname (and, of course, vice versa).

5. eville

eville Member

i just set up my hostname. i think i set it up proper.

I also sent a request for removal to CBL. I hope CBL sends an updated list to spamhaus on a regular basis. I guess i'll find out soon enough.

I need to do some further research on setting up reverse DNS. I should be able to figure it out.

6. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    the CBL will remove the block in a couple of hours usally
    when the cbl sees "localhost.localdomain" as the hostname it will get listed

your reverse PTR needs to be set by your data center

7. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

If it says it is blocked by Spamhaus you need to send the request to them - not CBL. CBL just uses Spamhaus' list.

8. eville

eville Member

by my data centre do you mean my ISP? I have complete root and physical access to the server.

Should i set up reverse dns before i apply to get my IP removed?

#8 eville, Apr 11, 2006
  9. eville

eville Member

when i visit: http://www.spamhaus.org/lookup.lasso and look up my ip i get this:

**.**.**.** is not listed in the SBL

**.**.**.** is listed in the XBL, because it appears in:

* CBL

I think its the other way around ;) I'll try to remove it from both I guess.

10. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    the xbl will list the CBL automaticly when its dropped from the cbl it will be dropped from the xbl if the listing is
    yes who ever asigns your ip's

11. eville

eville Member

OK, i have just submitted to CBL to remove the IP. I'm crossing my fingers :rolleyes:

I'm assuming that reverse DNS is not required to get off the list. I will have to contact my ISP tommorow to find out how i can go about setting up reverse DNS.

Thank you everyone for your quick responses! I will keep everyone in mind if i ever have extra work to give out :cool:

#11 eville, Apr 11, 2006
  12. eville

eville Member

Off List

I am now off the list on both CBL and Spamhaus.

E-mails are still getting blocked under some providers.
    - Hotmail is blocking.
    - Another completly seperate Cpanel host is blocking
    ->Gmail is NOT blocking.

When i tail the exim log all e-mails are being sent out without any errors reported.

Could this just be that other spam software is taking longer to update their lists that use CBL or Spamhaus?

Or could it be that I have been added to another list that im just unaware of?

Ive tried to search my ip on all the sites listed here: http://www.clapper.org/spam/ , http://www.rbls.org/ dsbl.org , http://www.moensted.dk/spam/ , http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ip4r.ch?ip=127.0.0.1 and other popular DNSBL list sites.

#12 eville, Apr 12, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  13. eville

eville Member

does anyone have any ideas?