The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpmove Backup restore option Question

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by inthukha, Jul 21, 2014.

1. inthukha

inthukha Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

One of the friend have account with the bluehost and bluhehost don't allow to generate backup via cPanel default option. they only allow to download backup in real time via Backup Pro module. after contacting with their support they suggest my friend to Generate whole directory backup via command. which basically just compress his home directory in .tar.gz.

However, after compressed i transferred the .tar.gz file to new VPS /root location. and try to restore with "Restore Full Backup/cpmove File" option. in which i selected the compressed file called "backup.tar.gz" but it shows this message.

upcp file not found. later i decide to made another try with another fresh copy. and what it shows is following

command line view show

root@server1 [~]# /usr/local/cpanel/bin/view_transfer 1929924678quick20140721165234vvS1Pcw
    Transfer running with pid: 29830
    [29830 ][MASTER ]: Start Session
    [29830 ][MASTER ]: Version: 1.9
    [29830 ][MASTER ]: Queue “RESTORE” items: 1
    [29830 ][MASTER ]: Remote Host:
    [29832 ][RESTORE:1 ]: Starting Account: “backup”

Account “backup”: Account Restore Failed: “Failed to extract the archive at “/root/backup.tar.gz”: The tar archive extraction failed because of an error: The “/bin/gtar” command (process 29835) reported the “ENOENT” (2) error when it ended.: “ gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file /bin/gtar: Unexpected EOF in archive /bin/gtar: Unexpected EOF in archive /bin/gtar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now ”.”

i have not made any account in the VPS and its just fresh start. WHM 11.44.0 (BUILD 27) CENTOS 6
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can not package the home directory of the account into an archive, and then use the restore options in cPanel/WHM to restore it. The backup must be generated through a backup process in cPanel/WHM or from the "/scripts/pkgacct" utility. I suggest trying the following option on the destination server:

"WHM Home » Transfers » Copy an Account From Another Server With an Account Password"

Thank you.