The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpmove restore problem

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by jasonr1023, Nov 23, 2009.

1. jasonr1023

jasonr1023 Registered

Cpanel versions are the same on both the source and destination server.
    Domain name on source: acme.com
    Account name on source: acme

Destination server has a reseller configured with the name acme

Herein lies the problem. When I try to do a restore from a cpmove file from WHM, I get a user already exists error. If I try through ssh (/scripts/restorepkg --force --skipres <account.tar.gz>), I get "Generating Account....Account Creation Status: failed (Sorry, a group for that username already exists.)"

2. thewebhostingdi

thewebhostingdi Well-Known Member

This is because the reseller account is already created with the name 'acme'. Try to change the reseller user name in your destination server or changed the user name for the domain acme.com in your source server and then try to restore the domain.

3. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    What thewebhostingdi posted above is correct; one of the two accounts would need to have the username changed before restoration, either the account on the source server or the destination account. Please note, however, that an active reseller may not have their username changed; the reseller account would need to be removed of reseller privileges in order to allow a change of its username.

I recommend using the following transfer feature in WHM that allows specifying a new local username for the account:
    WHM: Main >> Transfers >> Copy an account from another server

Related documentation: Copy an Account from Another Server

4. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Upon checking further I verified the issue indicated in the provided log output was corrected in the EDGE build tree as of May 2009 and subsequently included in the release of cPanel version 11.25; for reference, the original issue was handled via the following internal case ID: #28102

If the intention is to restore from backup over the existing account then it should work provided the server is using at least cPanel version 11.25.