The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpop vs imap

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sebby, Jan 24, 2007.

1. sebby

sebby Well-Known Member

Hello all:

When I create an email account in cPanel, there is no way to select between POP3 or IMAP. I finally realized that it is the client softwares that use/trigger different protocols when entering into my box (cpop or imapd) depending on the type of access they want to the mailbox. Do I understand the process correctly?

Can anyone refere me to appropriate doc on this topic?

Thanks

Sebastien

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You are correct. When you create an account in cPanel it basically sets up a single record with the login details for the mail account. Both the POP3 server and the IMAP server use that same record to verify your login.

POP3 and IMAP are two very different protocols for retrieving email from an account. Simply put:

Use POP3 if you want to retrieve email to your local email client on your PC which then removes the copy from the server.

Use IMAP if you want to leave email on the server and retrieve only a copy to your email client on your PC. IMAP also supports additional folders within the server account into which you can move emails - POP3 does not have such a mechanism and will ignore anything other than the "inbox".