The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cppop dying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nxds, Sep 29, 2006.

1. nxds

nxds Well-Known Member

Over the past few nights the cppop daemon has died on a number of our servers. This has never happend before. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this behaviour?

2. randomuser

randomuser Well-Known Member

Check /var/log/messages, always, and say what version of cPanel is being used on the problematic servers.

I saw this recently as well on someone's server that was running a very outdated version of cPanel. /var/log/messages showed something about a file in /etc/xinetd.d/ not being executable or something. /scripts/upcp resolved the issue automagically, so I didn't bother to investigate further.

Please say which version of cPanel this is happening on.
    $ cat /usr/local/cpanel/version

3. nxds

nxds Well-Known Member

This has happened on several servers running 10.9.0-RELEASE_34. This has only started to happen since last weekend.

I thought at first it was related to a faulty cpanel update (much like the one causing BIND to fail) but it has happened outside the time frame when upcp is run.

There is nothing in /var/log/messages or /var/log/maillog to indicate the cause of the problem.

I have enabled cpservd so that the service gets restarted; however I would like to know why it's dying. Some remote DOS attack? Remote exploit attempt?

4. protocol

protocol Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I have seen this also one one Trustix server - other servers we have (CentOS) seem fine.

5. nxds

nxds Well-Known Member

Mine are all CentOS 4.4 with latest kernel

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

cppop has never been particularly stable. I don't know if cPanel are even developing it any more now that it is deprecated. It's probably a good opportunity to consider migrating over to maildir and courier-imap (pop3) instead.