The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cppop not responding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by evisions, Feb 6, 2004.

1. evisions

evisions Well-Known Member

I'm having difficulty with cppop, it is running, but it doesn't respond to pop3 connections.

Probing the server at port 110 gives no response.

Connecting via outlook gives the following error:

Task 'mail.MYDOMAIN.COM - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I've tried restarting cppop, reinstalled exim, looked for errors in the logs, and nothing has worked. Webmail is working fine.

This is a new cpanel install and POP3 has never worked on it. What can I check for more information about what is happening? Anyone have suggestions I could try? Could this be a license or install issue?

2. porcupine

porcupine Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    pop3 just fell off on 3 servers, and appears to be going on the other 35 or so.... Whose testing this stuff anyhow?! Surely *any* amount of testing would have revealed this problem, and considering *all* of our servers run the "stable" version of "updates" from darkorb, you'd think this would only be present in the release, or more realistically edge versions.

I see this on our servers (im only checking one, as its clear it updated and pop3 crapped, as its going across the rest of the boxes quite fast):

root@server1 [~]# fuser -v 110/tcp
    root@server1 [~]#

(nothing running on the port, lets try to restart cpanel):

root@server1 [~]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/cpanel restart
    Stopping cPanel services: [FAILED]
    Stopping webmail services: [FAILED]
    Stopping pop3 services: [FAILED]
    Stopping cPanel log services: [FAILED]
    Stopping cPanel Chat services: [ OK ]
    Stopping Melange Chat services: [ OK ]
    Stopping InterChange services: [FAILED]
    Stopping cPanel ssl services: [FAILED]
    Stopping Web Host Manger services: [ OK ]
    Stopping mailman services: Shutting down Mailman's master qrunner

Starting eximstats: [ OK ]
    Starting cPanel services: /usr/local/cpanel/cpaneld: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/local/cpanel/perl/Compress/Zlib/Zlib.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    [FAILED]
    Starting WebMail services: Digest::MD5 object version 2.27 does not match $Digest::MD5::VERSION 2.30.
    [FAILED]
    Starting pop3 services: Digest::MD5 object version 2.27 does not match $Digest::MD5::VERSION 2.30.
    [FAILED]
    Starting cPanel Chat services: [ OK ]
    Starting Melange Chat services: [ OK ]
    Starting cPanel ssl services: [ OK ]
    Starting Web Host Manager services: [ OK ]
    Starting mailman services: Starting Mailman's master qrunner.

This is *NOT* inspiring any confidence.

3. CreedFeed

CreedFeed Member

I get the same results as posted above. What's going on here?

4. evisions

Hmm, cppop shows as running and bound to port 110 for me, though it still doesn't respond.

# fuser -v 110/tcp
    USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
    110/tcp root 20470 f.... cppop

I just discovered that I can telnet to port 110 locally and communicate with cppop just fine. What could be stopping comunication with 110 from the outside on the box? (my firewall doesn't block 110)

I have to tell you, as a new user to cpanel, to hear others complain about the reliability and stability of this setup when running the "stable" version, it does not give be confidence. With the trouble I've had with this install so far, if I don't get something resolve soon, I'm going to ask for a refund and go get PLESK.

This doesn't sound like the professionally developed software that was advertised.

5. CreedFeed

CreedFeed Member

6. evisions

Ha! I found the solution to my issue, it wasn't an issue with cppop at all, iptables was firewalling me out of that port. I'll have to have a talk with the guys who setup my server.