The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cppop- runaway train prevention.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by feanor, Feb 12, 2002.

1. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

OK, occassionally I will experience a machine perishing in flames largely due to a cppop onslaught of gigantic processes.....

Most often connected to a dial-up (or similar bandwidth) user trying to download a 20+ meg inbox file. We have policies that state you can not go over a certain megabyte limit PER individual pop3 accounts, to defend against this type of catastrophic process being spawned... but obviously 90% of the world has no idea how to keep their inboxes in line, nor do they care.

Is there a way to tweak cppop when it runs as a daemon to *NEVER* serve up inboxes that exceed a certain limit? I'm not saying make this SO for everybody in the galaxy, but if an option for &Maximum Allowed Pop3 Spools& could be added, that would potentially save a lot of sporadic downtime, IMHO...

Is this possible / worth a feature request / or is there a better way to control this?

Thanks for any opinions/advice, if they exist.
    ;)

2. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

I suggested something like this as a possible enhancement:

http://web.cpanel.net/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=169

Un saludo,
    Juanra

3. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:743ab32099][i:743ab32099]Originally posted by feanor[/i:743ab32099]

OK, occassionally I will experience a machine perishing in flames largely due to a cppop onslaught of gigantic processes.....

Most often connected to a dial-up (or similar bandwidth) user trying to download a 20+ meg inbox file. We have policies that state you can not go over a certain megabyte limit PER individual pop3 accounts, to defend against this type of catastrophic process being spawned... but obviously 90% of the world has no idea how to keep their inboxes in line, nor do they care.

Is there a way to tweak cppop when it runs as a daemon to *NEVER* serve up inboxes that exceed a certain limit? I'm not saying make this SO for everybody in the galaxy, but if an option for &Maximum Allowed Pop3 Spools& could be added, that would potentially save a lot of sporadic downtime, IMHO...

Is this possible / worth a feature request / or is there a better way to control this?

Thanks for any opinions/advice, if they exist.
    ;)
    [/quote:743ab32099]

Travis,

Please add your comments to the bug id posted above..

-Nick

4. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

Thanks, no prob.
    I will start there in the future instead of ranting here.

Peace 4ever
    ;)