The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpsrvd failed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ezhostingpro, Jan 11, 2006.

1. ezhostingpro

ezhostingpro Member

cpsrvd failed @ Wed Jan 11 16:19:03 2006. A restart was attempted automagicly.

we been recieving this message every few days and ben making sure we keep cpanel scripts and cpanel itself updated, though it has not helped. When this happens the server never restarts the process which ends up leaving us down till I reboot the server because even jsut rebooting the process has not corrected the down services. I was wondering if there is a more detailed log of why this crashed some where on the file system so I cna try to fix this issue.

2. AceWeb

AceWeb Well-Known Member

I also had this issue but with cPanel 10.8.1-R98 and the release before that, it seems to be fixed. Will give it some time and see.

When cpsrvd died, it did so within minutes after UPCP started.

3. ezhostingpro

ezhostingpro Member

Well we did a upgrade last night to the newest stable and still having this issue and my host does not support cpanel but offers it on the servers and cpanel wont help cause it is the host that owns the lic and not me.

4. ezhostingpro

ezhostingpro Member

nope still having isues with cpsrvd failing and never restarting

5. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Also having this problem.

New server with latest release build - cpanel service fails and doesnt restart - works fine after a manual restart but then a day or so later - it fails again. Server load is fine.

6. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

We have been using Platinum Server Management to manage these servers. I asked them to look into why this problem was happening.

They said that because I'd restarted cpanel - they couldnt look into the problem because I had "fixed it".

I replied saying that the fact that I restarted the service should have no bearing on the way in which they investigate why the problem occurrs. I suggested that if they are unable to look into a problem as simple as this then they probably didnt know what they were doing and I had reservations about using them.

They shut down my account and refuse to provide service.

All I wanted was for them to look into why the cpanel service might be failing every couple of days and becasue they couldnt handle it - they closed my account!

Does anyone think I was harsh to them by saying I didnt think they were very good if they couldnt look into the problem - rather than simply restarting the service every time it failed ?

I dont call that "server managment" do you ?

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Such are the vagries of third-party support.

The error log to check if cpsrvd fails is /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log

For those with problems logging tickets, I'd suggest reporting your provide to cPanel at billing@cpanel.net. Their contract with cPanel behoves that they deal with tickets and log them with cPanel on your behalf. If they're not doing that, they're failing in their responsibilities (and you can always vote with your feet and take your business to a more responsible server provider).

8. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

They are not a server provider - just a monitoring / support company in the USA.

We've been using them to monitor the servers when they are awake and we are asleep (we are in the UK) and I was initially happy with them but their problem is that they always go for the quick fix rather than properly investigating an issue. They think that as long as the service is running then there cant be a problem.

I've worked in technical support for 13 years and I know very well when someone is brushing the dust under the carpet if you get what I mean.

9. chae

chae Well-Known Member

We seem to have cpsrvd fail nearly every 3-4 weeks, once we see it failing in our logs then we know it's time for a reboot. If we don't reboot then we find the server starts loading up and eventually comes to a grinding halt.

Have checked the logs but nothing obvious sticks out...what we have noticed is that it does seems to fail more after a cPanel/WHM upgrade

10. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Log says this...

Internal Error: "" Normal Connection Timeout (Probably closed browser on a HTTP/1.1 session) at cpsrvd.pl line 1470.

Appears about 40 times in the log but there is no time/date on any of the entries.

I dont think this is relevent to this issue, having searched this forum, those errors seem normal and others have reported them as being present in the log but not related them to cpsrvd failing.

#10 4u123, Feb 11, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  11. trinity1511

trinity1511 Member

Huge Problem....

Hi,

I had this same problem, and as chae accurately says, if you don't reboot the server, at some point it halts (it happened to me yesterday, I had to ask for a power reboot). My log says exactly what 4u123 says:

Code:
    [~]# more /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log
    Content-type: text/html

Internal Error: "" Normal Connection Timeout (Probably closed browser on a HTTP/
    1.1 session) at cpsrvd.pl line 1470.
    tar: ./public_ftp: Cannot change ownership to uid 32003, gid 32004: Operation no
    t permitted
    tar: ./public_html: Cannot change ownership to uid 32003, gid 32004: Operation n
    ot permitted
    tar: .: Cannot change ownership to uid 32003, gid 32004: Operation not permitted
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
    Died at /scripts/initbyteslog line 56.
    The problem is that a few minutes after the power reboot, it occured again, cpsrvd failed, and the mail advising this arrived:

Code:
    cpsrvd failed @ Mon Feb 13 12:51:28 2006. A restart was attempted automagicly.
    I am running on WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.1-S114, CentOS 4.2 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

So, the problem is that I don't know what to do about this.... I had rebooted and a few minutes later this happens, if anyone here has a cue of the solution to this problem, it would be HIGHLY appreciated. Thank you. :confused:

12. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Those errors don't look serious to me either.

One thing you could try is increasing the value (double it) for what you have in WHM > Tweak Settings > The maximum memory a cPanel process can use before it is killed off. It could be that cPanel is hitting that limit on your server.