The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpsrvd fails, server misconfiguration errors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kelmas, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Kelmas

Kelmas Well-Known Member

Today I see cpsrvd failed in service stats and sometimes HTTP returns "Server misconfiguration errors". WHM doesn't work then. Starts working only after service cpanel restart.

I also see this in error log:

(12)Cannot allocate memory: couldn't spawn child process: (various php script names)

Any help?

2. Kelmas

Kelmas Well-Known Member

The problem repeats itself from time to time. I have PHP suEXEC installed and PHP compiled as module.

Any help?

3. jack01

jack01 Well-Known Member

I am having this issue too, and I know this post is a few months old, but there has been no reponse so far so I thought I'd revive it.

I get many entries like this in the error logs:

(12)Cannot allocate memory: couldn't spawn child process: /home/<someusername>/public_html/<somescript>.php

This is the first time I have noticed this on our servers, all have phpSuExec...?

Anyone got any ideas yet?

4. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

The message is self-explanatory. It seems that you have resource (memory) restrictions in place for Php scripts? In this case, you should increase the value of the memory_limit variable in php.ini. When done, /scripts/restartsrv httpd

Read more about HowTo: Tweak php for maximum execution at:
    http://servertune.com/kbase/entry/88/

5. jack01

jack01 Well-Known Member

ServerTune,

The message is not that self explanatory with regard to how it can be resolved. When you suggest simply changing memory_limit in php.ini this affects individual scripts and their executing memory limits. However for a period of a couple of hours, all php scripts across the server failed with the aforementioned error, therefore it was not simply some script which was using more memory than allowed by memory_limit, there must have been a more general memory issue of some kind.

no, with phpSuExec you dont need to restart apache after changing php.ini...

Anyone have any other ideas?

#5 jack01, Jun 11, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2007