The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpu load bug

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by paultantk, May 29, 2003.

1. paultantk

paultantk Member

my box seems to be having weird cpu load problems lately when there isn't any process causing the cpu load.

here is the warning email.

IMPORTANT: Do not ignore this email.
    This is cPanel cpuwatch on server.hostname.com!
    While processing, the cpu has been
    maxed out for more then a 6 hour period. The current load/uptime line on the server at the time of
    this email is
    10:28am up 32 days, 27 min, 0 users, load average: 1.19, 0.26, 0.08
    You should check the server to see why the load is so high and take
    steps to lower the load. If you want stats to continue to run even with a high load; Edit
    /var/cpanel/cpanel.config and change extracpus to a number larger then 0 (run
    /usr/local/cpanel/startup afterwards to pickup the changes).

does anyone know why this is happening? is it a bug with cpanel?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. keycomm

keycomm Member

I had this happen on a new server we were setting up. It ended up that the cause was that we were running out of space because we setup the partitions incorrectly. The high CPU load was the backup program running and filling up a partition I think. The backup would hang. Hope that helps.

3. lordkinjo

lordkinjo Active Member

I received this when I had uploaded a cgi program and it was eating up server resources due to a bug...Did you do any new installs lately. Go in your Cpu/Memory/Mysql Usage History link inside the WHM and view your Top Process. It may show you where the drain is...Im sure there are other ways to do this but this is what I use....

Good Luck

Colin

4. auyongtc

auyongtc Member

I'm managing the same server with paul....
    We keep getting the cpu load warning email but from our monitoring and MRTG graphing on the load, there's no spike at all.. it never reached 1.00... so could the whole thing be a bug?

There's no problem with the free diskspace on the server... and no problem with the load level in reality...

So could this be a bug?

5. Uneeeq

Uneeeq Member

It may be a bug,
    past 2 days I started to receive those messages out of clear blue sky - about twice a day
    I just received one few minutes ago:

IMPORTANT: Do not ignore this email.
    This is cPanel cpuwatch on server.myserver.ext!
    While processing, the cpu has been
    maxed out for more then a 6 hour period. The current load/uptime line on the server at the time of
    this email is
    7:32pm up 72 days, 19 min, 1 user, load average: 2.46, 0.87, 0.35
    You should check the server to see why the load is so high and take
    steps to lower the load. If you want stats to continue to run even with a high load; Edit
    /var/cpanel/cpanel.config and change extracpus to a number larger then 0 (run
    /usr/local/cpanel/startup afterwards to pickup the changes).

But it is not true:
    for past 4 hours I have monitored and have consistently confirned via WHM:
    Server Load 0.00 (1 cpu) to about Server Load 0.07
    and System Health indicators on CPU is almost 0 load

perhaps the cpuwantch is malfunctioning or its log is corrupted??? I cannot find any signs of our server being under any stress nor CPU indicators showing any high CPU usage

6. auyongtc

auyongtc Member

bdraco.... can you check into this matter?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: 14781

7. Host4u2

Host4u2 Well-Known Member

Ditto... every indication here says it's a bug yet to be squashed.

8. Hoster2k

Hoster2k Well-Known Member

I dont see how it is a bug.

On the emails pasted in this email it shows the load is high - and that triggers the email to be sent.

Check how big the logs are being processed. Towards the end of the month if you are not cycling your logs then you will find it has to process the full log for the month which eats up alot of cpu time.

9. thedavid

thedavid Well-Known Member

Correct - it shows the load to be high for the past 1 minute, the other two figures (5 and 15 minutes, respectively) both show moderate to low loads. Additionally, the email states that it's been spiked for over 6 hours, so that's something else entirely.

We've just started getting these again, after it had been fixed by artifically inflating the /var/cpanel/cpanel.config option as noted, but it seems to have 'popped up' again.

Take a look at the server's load averages that are doing this:
    http://www.ion-web.com/mrtg/load.html

You'll see a couple of obscenely high spikes (runaway scripts that caused users to be suspended) but other than that, moderate load. Seems like a bug to me.

-David

10. Hoster2k

If the load goes high when it processes a log, then it will bail out, wait until the load goes back down and try again. If it constantly does this in a cycle for 6 hours then you get the email. It wont keep running if the server load is high.

11. JeremyV

JeremyV Well-Known Member

This is a bug, or at least, not working as intended because this has been happening for weeks here. I will get these emails (which go directly to my pager) and I can check as soon as I get one and the server load is NOT high, and has NOT been pegged for 6 hours. Anything over 1.00 and it assumes that is high.

It can be 7am in the morning, hardly anyone on the server, and the email gets sent. I logon, and notice the 1-minute average is about 1.11, 5-minute is about 1.05, and 15-minute is 0.92. So it is obvious there is no extreme load, so it wakes me from a dead sleep just to find that out.

I love the warning system, but it is way too sensitive for me. All I want to do is be able to change the threshold as to when it says the load is too high. Right now, is it 1.00? That is what it seems like. I'd love to set it to 10 or something more realistic for a higher load.

12. Hoster2k

You may want to submit that as a feature request then. This is not a bug - as you say when you logon the loads are approx 1.00 which looks to be the threshold.

13. auyongtc

auyongtc Member

Okay... i managed to resolve (sort of) this issue... supposedly it's a bug, it happened b4 quite sometime ago....

What I did to solve this issue was upgrade to the latest version (I was using Release tree) and did a reboot.... the load bug never came up ever again... at least for now... still keeping my fingers crossed...

I suppose it's something to do with my recent cpanel update, which caused this... but after the latest update and reboot - the gremlin has gone away! :)

14. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

Upgrading didn't help me. This cpuwatch thing started on one of my servers a few days ago. At the same time the server goes down 2-4 times a day. Then restarts shortly thereafter automatically. I didn't get much sleep yesterday and customers complain. Sigh, will the bugs never end. :(

John