The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpu load

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rajuru, Sep 22, 2007.

1. rajuru

rajuru Active Member

when configuring whm a question is asked when cpanel should show cpu load icon RED. actually i have no idea about it. often the load is 0.2 often 2.0 etc.

actually on what basis the load is shown? how i will understand that my server is in huge load

2. Crazor

Crazor BANNED

The load is shown in server status 24 x 7.

3. hostparlor.com

i believe you should set it at 2.0 if i am correct that is default. It will just turn red makng sure it gets your attention on the load to keep an eye on it.

4. theBassTender

theBassTender Active Member

server load unit of measurement?

I think the question Rajuru is asking is: What units of measurement do the server load numbers represent? 2.0 - is that 2 percent or 20 percent or just an arbitrary number??? If arbitrary, what's the range - 0-5? 0-10? Without stating the max range, you have no idea of its meaning other than "uh oh I have a flashing red dot".

I have wondered about this myself - it's not very clear.

5. gribozavr

gribozavr Member

Load average is the average number of processes in the kernel scheduler's run queue. That is, it is an average number of processes which want to execute their code on the CPU *just now*. Of course, only one process can be executed on one CPU at a certain moment, and all other processes are put in a run queue. After the current process has been running for its timeslice (a few milliseconds), it is put back in the queue and other process is being executed for its timeslice.

6. trevHCS

trevHCS Well-Known Member

Really it depends on what exactly is running, but load averages of 10 often slow things down quite a bit. Generally ours run somewhere around .75 to 1.0 quite happily due to it mostly being Apache with PHP & MySQL.

If it's running 2.0 all the time then that's probably not too good and you'll no doubt see a slowdown, but if it goes up and down then it should be fine. Just try not to run too many CGI scripts.

Trev

7. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

You should set this based on the cpu's in the box. If your server has 4 cpu's then set your threshold to 4, etc.

A full cycle of the box will be a load of 4.0 with a 4 cpu box or 2.0 with a 2 cpu box.

Because of the decay time of the meter, it may be a good idea to set the indicator a step or two above the total cpu's available.

Personally, I do not show any status publicly to clients. They are not the administrator so there is no need to show them this information and ask questions about it. They can judge performance by their pages loading. just mho.