The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Over Load Errors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thomamon, Jul 20, 2009.

1. thomamon

thomamon Active Member

I keep getting these errors, tho I have no clue what they mean or how to fix them. I keep rebooting my server, but every day it comes back. Can anyone help with this?

MPORTANT: Do not ignore this email.
    This is cPanel cpuwatch on server.thomasmontalto.com!
    While processing, the cpu has been
    maxed out for more than a 6 hour period. The current load/uptime line on the server at the time of this email is
    16:20:01 up 16:57, 0 users, load average: 5.53, 2.96, 2.43
    You should check the server to see why the load is so high and take steps to lower the load. If you want stats to continue to run even with a high load; Edit /var/cpanel/cpanel.config and change extracpus to a number larger then 0 (run /usr/local/cpanel/startup afterwards to pickup the changes).

2. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

Using top -c, you can check for the processes using more CPU power and accordingly kill the process (if you find them unnecessary).

3. CrazyTech

CrazyTech Member

Like it's already been said, use top to figure out what is causing the load. However, that might not be much of a load depending on what kind of processor you use. Are you on any of the multi-core CPU servers?

4. thomamon

thomamon Active Member

My processor is: equip_cpu_speed Core2Quad Q8200

I also am getting messages that my SDA3 drive is full.

5. thomamon

thomamon Active Member

I see updatedb running now nad that seems to be bringing the CPU up, also Spamd child. Can anyone help with these?

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Does it happen at the same time of day? If so, are the backups running if you have then enabled? Backups can put a significant load on a server.

Otherwise, you're going to have to investigate from the root shell to determine what is taking up disk space and what is causing the high server load using the tools available (top, ps, lsof, strace, du, etc). You need to determine whether you've simply overloaded the server or whether something is looping, or something is running that shouldn't be.

If a disk partition is full you need to act quickly as that can easily lead to data corruption.

If you don't know how to do this, then you need to investigate how or hire a server administrator.

7. thomamon

thomamon Active Member

It is the quota.user on the /var drive. It keeps happening.

Any idea how to fix this?