The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crash after /scripts/upcp in crontab ?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hostbox.be, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Hostbox.be

Hostbox.be Well-Known Member

Hi all

My server crashes at night, around 4am. At that time /scripts/upcp is listed in my crontab.
    All services are down and I need to do a hard reboot.

I have CentOS 3.4 installed with the latest stable version of cpanel WHM 10.0.0 cPanel 10.0.0-R7. My perl version is v5.8.4 built for i686-linux, I updated this manually for stopping the problem with eximstats, but without any succes, so I disabled eximstats in WHM.

If I look into /var/log/chkservd.log, I see this just before the crash :
    [Sun Feb 6 03:52:30 2005] Service check ....apache [+]...cppop [+]...cpsrvd [+]...exim [+]...exim-26 [+]...ftpd [+]...imap [+]...mysql [+]...spamd [+]...syslogd [+]...Done
    Loading services .....apache....exim....cpsrvd....mysql....ftpd....syslogd....cppop....spamd....imap....exim-26..

Maybe an exim problem because this is the last thing in it ?

Now I logged in via ssh and run /scripts/upcp without any trouble. The only warning I see is :
    Package lynx needs perl(CGI), this is not available.
    and at the ending he says:
    Versions Match! (10.0.0-RELEASE_7). You are running the latest RELEASE.

I added also a line in yum.conf, but I guess this is not the problem:
    [main]
    exclude=httpd* mysql* php* perl* mod_ssl* kernel* spamassassin*

So the problem in short: my server crashes with /scripts/upcp via crontab, but not when I run this script myself via ssh ?

Could someone give me a solution for this problem ? Thank you.

2. bking

bking Well-Known Member

I am running C52 and I have noticed that every night, after the upcp, I get the email stating it ran etc.. BUT if it actually does an upgrade, the upcp process becomes a Zombie when trying to send the email.... I need to kill the controlling process to get rid of the zombie, and then a few minutes later I get the upcp email stating the upgrade went ahead.

In short, If I don't have my nightly upcp email, I know there has been an upgrade...