The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Create a backup from a snapshot...

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Raf, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Raf

Raf Registered

Mar 28, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA

In a bit of a bind. One of our client's CPanel site became infected w/ Malware. We've tried as much as we can to help them clean themselves up and I now realize the error of my ways... I hadn't configured CPanel Backups prior to the infection, however I do have Filesystem Snapshots enabled and retain daily copies, 2 weeks worth. Our CPanel's Root (/) is on our SAN; thus SAN snapshots...

I can mount the snapshot back onto the server under /mnt/temp_snap_dir and view the contents of the CPanel server as they were 2 weeks ago. My question is, is there a way for me to grab a backup of that account (as it appears on the mounted snapshot from two weeks ago) that's in /mnt/tmp_snap_dir? I guess I'm asking if I can chroot cpbackup? I'm guessing its not as easy as simply coping the old homedir in place of the current one.

What will it do about the Databases? Would it simply copy the .db file? Would I even need to bother?

Any advice would be appreciated it.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You will not be able to create a cPanel backup file from that data alone. Do you have another server that you can use to restore the filesystem snapshot to? That way, you could restore it to another server, and then generate a cPanel backup file that you can use to restore the account.

Thank you.