The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Create Addon domain for CNAME benefit?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FlyFoxUK, Jun 14, 2010.

1. FlyFoxUK

FlyFoxUK Registered

I would like to point shop.myclient.com via a CNAME to client.mydomain.com for HTTP requests only - no FTP required.

I have set up the "shop" CNAME for myclient.com to point to client.mydomain.com

What do I have to do on my CPANEL box under mydomain.com to get this working? From what I've read I need to add an "Addon domain" to mydomain.com but this also seems to create an FTP account and a folder for web pages etc, none of which I want. I just want it to validate shop.myclient.com HTTP requests to point to the existing client.mydomain.com.

Under the VirtualHost entry for mydomain.com in httpd.conf I have ServerAlias like this:
    ServerAlias *.mydomain.com mydomain.com

And my PHP scripts takes things from there depending on the value of HTTP_HOST. This works fine for abc.mydomain.com and xyz.mydomain.com, and now I need it to take the next step which is having something like shop.myclient.com correctly picked up and processed by the same VirtualHost.

Any help most appreciated.

FF.

2. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Take a look at the "parked domain" feature, this does exactly what you are looking for if I understand you correctly.