The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Create addon domain on a different account using a domain hosted on same server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Evolve, May 26, 2014.

1. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

Hello,

I'm trying to set up a "cookieless domain". So I bought a new domain. (static.com)

I'm trying to figure out how to best setup a new domain's DNS so that I can point an A Record at another cPanel account to allow it to host an addon domain pointing to a folder within it.

New domain = static.com
    Old domain where files are hosted = content.com
    Want DNS and A Records to point like so:
    New domain (static.com) creates A Record that points acc1.static.com to ip address of content.com account (it's unique)
    Create addon domain on content.com account for acc1.static.com to point to content.com/acc1

I've tried a couple options so far:
    Use registrar for DNS and A Record pointed to cPanel server:
    This seems like it should work but it didn't look like was this morning. I may need to wait longer for propagation or I may have had the wrong nameserver IP added to ips.remotedns or it was just flakey. I assume it's safe to add multiple nameserver IPs? Ideally i would like to figure out how to manage this all on cPanel if possible.

Setup the new domain with its own cPanel account on the same server and try to create an A Record to another account's IP address on the same server and Create an addon domain on the other account:
    This didn't work. I got the following error when trying to create the addon domain:
    Code:
    A DNS entry for “acc1.static.com” already exists, remove it from all servers in the DNS cluster first.
    "Enable WHOIS lookups for the nameserver IP manager" is already disabled.

Should I bother trying to do this through cpanel or just try to get the registrar's dns to work?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I recommend ensuring both domain names use name servers associated with the cPanel server. Then, without making any custom DNS modifications on the cPanel server, add "acc1.static.com" as an addon domain name on top of the "content.com" account. Could you clarify if this method does not work, or if you are seeking a different setup?

Thank you.

3. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

Actually I tried that after I set up an account for static.com and, thankfully, it didn't work. I thought that would be a serious security problem if accounts could make subdomains for other accounts without needing any permissions. I can test it again if you like but it gave me a very simple error like:
    You cannot do that.

Or are you saying not to make an account for static.com and just have the name servers pointing to the server?

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In "WHM Home » Server Configuration » Tweak Settings", under the "Domains" tab, you must temporarily enable the following option:

"Allow domain parking across accounts"

Thank you.

5. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

Ok, I've pointed the domain back to my nameservers and created an account for static.com again. I'll have to wait a bit for it to propagate and then, without touching static.com's dns settings, I'll try enabling the Tweak setting before I try to setup the subdomain on the other account.

I've gone ahead and done it and switched the Tweak Setting back to default. I just have to wait for propagation but all looks good so far according to MXToolbox.com

#5 Evolve, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
  6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  7. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

All appears to be working! Thanks for pointing out the correct method for doing this.