Create cpmove without server issues

PatrickVeenstra

Feb 12, 2012
Barcelona
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
When I create a cpmove of a large account Apache seems to become unavailable.

/scripts/pkgacct [account]

Is there a better way to do so?

I have always thought that pkgacct runs at low priority but is that true or should I change that command to ionice -c 3 nice -n 19 /cpmove.sh ?

I know nice already lowers io priority, but as we're talking about a background backup it should be as low as posible. Does the order of nice / ionice matter (does nice override ionice in any order)?

The account is 65GB at this moment.

24x7server

Apr 17, 2013
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Hi,

It does have a threshold value mentioned in it, so if the load goes high, it stops for a while.. However, if it is a big account, you should use incremental backups for such operations instead.. Give it a try.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

You can browse to the "Stats and Logs" tab in "WHM Home » Server Configuration » Tweak Settings" and modify the following option:

"Extra CPUs for server load"

Per it's description:

The load average above the number of CPUs at which cpuwatch, cpanellogd, backups, and CPU stats consider the system to be in a critical load state. For example, a server with 4 physical CPUs and a value of 2 in this field will be considered “critical” in these cases once the load reaches 6.

Additionally, you may want to adjust the following option in "WHM >> Tweak Settings" under the "System" tab:

I/O priority level at which nightly backups are run

Per it's description:

You must compile ionice with your kernel to use this option. ionice manages I/O scheduling for processes on your system. Specifying a lower value for this option gives the process a higher priority. This option can accept integer values between 0 and 7.

As far as manually backing up the account with the pkgacct script, consider using the "--nocompress" flag. This will use more disk space, but may take up less resources.

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
"Extra CPUs for server load" specifies the critical load. How does that affect cpuwatch, cpanellogd, backups?
The nightly backup and statistic generations will run with "cpuwatch" and pause when the load reaches the threshold. The processes will continue to monitor the load and only resume once it's back down.

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Thanks Michael. So basically I can't create a full cpmove of my largest site without causing the server to go down.
It's possible you may need to seek out an alternative if your system is in-fact running out of resources. Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look and rule out any issues with the cPanel & WHM software?

Thank you.