The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Create Database Structure

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by AthensMatt, Apr 15, 2015.

1. AthensMatt

AthensMatt Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Did a search and couldn't come up with an answer but I'm not certain what to ask.

New to running WHM and Cpanel, most of our websites are WordPress. But on our old server when we would create a new database for a website it would create the "database structure" automatically. For instance there would be a wp_filters, wp_instances, wp_links, wp_comments, etc. However, when I create a new database from either the WHM side or the enduser's Cpanel no structure is created by default at all. I'm simply left with an option to "create table".

Is there an option to create a default WordPress database structure that I'm missing in WHM?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You need a database in order to install a wordpress site. Once you've created that database, logged in as the cPanel user and then uploaded your wordpress files and run the wordpress installer, it will create the needed tables structure you speak of.
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress

3. AthensMatt

AthensMatt Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Gotcha. So I first create the database from the WHM side for the WordPress site. Then I login to that sites cPanel and then run the wordpress installer (for a new site). Is that correct?
    Sorry for the total rookie question! :(

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You don't create a database via WHM, you login as the cPanel user to his account and create the database there. First you create the database, then you create a user for the database, and then you "Add User to Database" as the final step. When you do this, take note of the user_username, password, and user_databasename. You'll need those items for the installer to run proper.

Those docs should cover all of this, best to read thru them first before doing anything, that way you're at least semi prepared.

Pro tip: once you've got the new site installed proper, back up the database and new site directory. As a new user, backups are your best friend. Keep them current. :)

GL!

5. AthensMatt

AthensMatt Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks very much, reading now!