The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Create Database, User and set permissions via SSH

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by vestigium, Apr 24, 2014.

1. vestigium

vestigium Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    How can I create a database user and set permissions through a SSH connection?

I connected to MySQL via SSH and created the database, but it does not appear in cPanel.
    And to create a new user for the database is giving the error: ERROR 1227 (42000): Access denied; You need the CREATE USER privilege for this operation

I read something to the user/database appear in cPanel is necessary to relate the database created with the user via cPanel WHM via the Database Map Tool menu.
    I also saw somewhere over run the script /usr/local/cpanel/bin/setupdbmap for him to show in cPanel, it did not work.

I discovered that even the version 11.28 of cPanel had a script to create users, but it was removed. Script: /scripts/mysqladduserdb

After all, it's possible do what I wish exclusively via SSH?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You must manually create the databases and database users through MySQL itself. You can then determine if it's assigned to an account using "/usr/local/cpanel/bin/dbmaptool". Here are the options for this utility:

Code:
    # /usr/local/cpanel/bin/dbmaptool
    /usr/local/cpanel/bin/dbmaptool cpuser --type mysql|pg --dbusers 'user1, user2' --dbs 'db1, db2'

These flags are treated individually. This tool will not map a virtual user to a database.
               /usr/local/cpanel/bin/dbmaptool user1 --type mysql --dbs 'db1' --dbusers 'virt1'
               /usr/local/cpanel/bin/dbmaptool user1 --type mysql --dbs 'db1' && /usr/local/cpanel/bin/dbmaptool user1 --type mysql --dbusers 'virt1'
               The above two commands are analogous; result in cpuser 'user1' having privileges for 'db1' and having a virtual user named 'virt1.'
    Thank you.

3. vestigium

vestigium Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Searching a bit more I ended up finding the cPanel API.
    I saw that the v1 API functions are available to create both user and database: Mysql Module Documentation

Could do everything I needed by making an API request via curl the following urls:

Code:
    // Create database
    https://mydomain.com:2083/json-api/cpanel?user=CPANELUSER&cpanel_jsonapi_module=Mysql&cpanel_jsonapi_func=adddb&cpanel_jsonapi_apiversion=1&arg-0=DATABASE

// Create user
    https://mydomain.com:2083/json-api/cpanel?user=CPANELUSER&cpanel_jsonapi_module=Mysql&cpanel_jsonapi_func=adduser&cpanel_jsonapi_apiversion=1&arg-0=DATABASEUSER&arg-1=DATABASEUSERPASSWORD

// Grant a user permission (all)
    https://mydomain.com:2083/json-api/cpanel?user=CPANELUSER&cpanel_jsonapi_module=Mysql&cpanel_jsonapi_func=adduserdb&cpanel_jsonapi_apiversion=1&arg-0=DATABASE&arg-1=DATABASEUSER&arg-2=all

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator