The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

create domain = hostname, but create email then cannot login.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by MGV, Mar 23, 2011.

1. MGV

MGV Member

WHM 11.28.64

Hello,

I have a problem with email in cpanel. I create a domain (it's name also is my server hostname). But then i create email for testing. Its not work. After that, i create subdomain like test.mydomain.com and create email with this. It's work nomally (login success).

What i need to do now? My domain has no problem with MX entry..

Thanks,

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The issue is exactly the fact that you've added a domain on the system that is the same as your hostname. You cannot use a hostname that needs to also be a domain on the machine for an account. Change the hostname to something like server.mydomain.com instead in WHM > Change Hostname area, then run /scripts/updateuserdomains to get the domain working for ownership.

Again, the hostname cannot be the exact same as mydomain.com because the hostname is owned by the user nobody under cPanel, which means that an account user cannot then own it. If you change to server.mydomain.com, which will then be owned by nobody, then mydomain.com will be able to work for email.

You can see before and after changing the hostname who owns the domain to see that there is an ownership issue by running this command:

Code:
    /scripts/whoowns mydomain.com
    Of course, replace mydomain.com in each of the above examples with the actual domain name. The whoowns script tells you what user owns a set domain.

3. MGV

MGV Member

Thanks for your advice, it's work for me. Thanks again!