The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Create ftp account for main domain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by formula13x, Nov 27, 2008.

1. formula13x

formula13x Member

How can I create an ftp account to use the home directory of /usr/local/apache/htdocs/?

the normal methods using useradd and pure-pw don't seem to work?

Here is what I've tried (to no avail)

useradd USERNAMETOUSE -d /usr/local/apache/htdocs/ -s /sbin/nologin

pure-pw useradd USERNAMETOUSE -u LOCALUSERNAMETOUSE -d /usr/local/apache/htdocs

Is there a way from the main cpanel administrator to do this? Or does anybody else have a solution?

2. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You did not specify what your trying to do, so I assume, this server i syours and you have root access and your trying to find a way to upload you content to the default server directory? If I am right read on, if I am wrong ignore me.

Just use an ftp program like CoreFtp, add a new entry in your site manager, change the connection to SSH/SFTP change your port if it is non-stansard (which is highl recommended) then you can use an ftp program to access your server via SSH. Hope this helps.

3. formula13x

formula13x Member

I appreciate the response. That's not exactly what I was trying to explain.

Instead of "Create ftp account for main domain?" let me try to state it a different way.

How do I create an ftp account within the webhost manager that will have access to /usr/local/apache/htdocs/?

Here are the technical details of the box/software.

WHM 11.23.2 cPanel 11.23.6-R27698
    CENTOS Enterprise 5.2 i686 on virtuozzo - WHM X v3.1.0

I'm wanting to create an ftp account, on my server, but cpanel has things configured differently than I would expect.

I own a domain (say domainiown.com). So I would log into my my webhost manager at

http://www.domainiown.com:2086/

Now, I want to also have a website hosted off the regular port 80 of this domain, so if you were to access http://www.domainiown.com/.
    (this is done by placing the content at /usr/local/apache/htdocs and configuring apache to use domainiown as the default virtual host.

Now, if I wanted to create an ftp account, to access /usr/local/apache/htdocs, how would I do that (preferrably specifying his as the home directory for that ftp account)? I don't see a way of managing ftp users within the webhost manager, only at the cpanel account level.

I'm thinking the next thing I will try is to just create an ftp account through one of the ftp accounts and then trying to manipulate things with a linked directory or something?

4. rhenderson

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ah, just realized you are the same person from post http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=99833

/usr/local/apache/htdocs is for the hostname, not domain name.

I assume you have a hostname.domainiwon.com just create an account domainiwon.com, then go back to the stuff you talked about in the above post and change the document root to /home/domainiwon/public_html then you have an ftp account to your "main domain"

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I think he answered you correctly above. And you are correct in how to add a default site as you want. You won't access WHM at that URL though, it would be something like fred.yourserver.com:2087 If you're not going to be using SFTP to get to root files often, you might want to take this route.
    http://www.configserver.com/cp/cse.html

6. formula13x

formula13x Member

Thanks! You guys are awesome! I've been repeatidly trying to overcomplicate this thing.. I'm used to building everything out from scratch.. Actually using a framework is forcing me to think... Well.. intuitively.. That's a new concept.. LOL

7. rhenderson

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You're welcome. It can be a steep learning curve at first but once you start to understand the flow it makes sense.