The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Create Server's Home Page

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by selfg, May 1, 2004.

1. selfg

selfg Member

I just now loaded cPanel and believe it will be a resource I will really enjoy. However, I've read the docs, checked the forums, and even Googled for answers, but still have several fundamental questions (though I'll only ask them one at a time).

Here's my first question.

I have a server (it physically sits on the floor next to me), so I am the host for a small site owned by a community college. I cannot figure out how to upload the files for the "main" page for this site.

For example, when a user enters "xwing.cochise.edu" they currently see the "Site not configured" error screen. Of course, I want them to see our home page (which I wrote and is patiently waiting on my desktop box for uploading).

I've searched the server's hard drive and found the error screen that is displayed, but that is in the Apache directory and that, somehow, doesn't seem to be the place to put my home page.

So, can you tell a newbie how to get started. Do I create an account of some sort and then upload to that account? Do I just upload directly onto the server outside of cPanel? Do I upload using Root access information?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

--George

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

First you need to go to your whm to create an account for the website. There are some things you need to set up in WHM also if they haven't been set up yet.

To go to your WHM, go to
    https://main.ip.address:2087

3. selfg

selfg Member

Thanks. I got to that step. However, when I try to create a new account I am required to insert a domain. I want to have the user able to update the host domain (xwing.cochise.edu). cPanel will not let me create an account where the domain is the same as the host domain.

So, how can I upload a Web site to the host domain?

--George

4. selfg

selfg Member

Thanks. That did it. I just now uploaded my Web site. I appreciate the help.