The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Create system FTP user but no cPanel account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by divisionbyzero, May 11, 2007.

1. divisionbyzero

Hello everyone,

I have a dedicated cPanel/WHM server set up. This one is colocated in the US. I also have another server that is physically on our server room in Sydney, Australia.

What I wanted done is to do remote daily backups from the Sydney cPanel server to the server in the US.

At first, I tried to create a system user by doing a "useradd" on the server in the US. But when I try to log in via FTP client remotely, I can't get in. If I can't even get in, then the daily backup script surely won't finish as expected.

It was only after I created an account (using a nonexistent subdomain) on the US server that I have been able to login. So, I'm presuming that cPanel/WHM doesn't allow FTP access from system users but only through its user list.

Is it possible to set it up that an ordinary system user and use FTP without having a cPanel account?

Thanks and Best Regards.

2. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It should be; in fact, that's how I log in to my cpanel boxes on a daily basis. It's possible ftp is failing for another reason; perhaps it doesn't like the shell your newly created account has.

3. kdarray

kdarray Well-Known Member

add to wheel

i created an acct on the target server using the useradd command. then added it to wheel. i think that was all i needed to do to ftp with a proper backup that included the daily weekly and monthly directories.

so give it a try and test from your source server and only backup one acct so it doesnt take forever and you can see your result very quickly.

good luck.

#3 kdarray, May 15, 2007
    Last edited: May 15, 2007