Create Web Disk Users Without Domain Name?

KC-Bill

Nov 12, 2008
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Is it possible to create Web Disk users for domain.com's account without the user name including the domain name? For example, I'd like to create "username" rather than "[email protected]". When I couldn't find a way to do this in the cPanel GUI, I tried creating the users with the "@domain.com" then editing the passwd & shadow files to remove it, but attempting to log in as that user afterwards gives me a "Forbidden" message even though the account shows correctly in cPanel.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

This is not possible, with the exception of the cPanel account username. It's configured this way so that the same username is not configured multiple times on the same system.

Thank you.

KC-Bill

Nov 12, 2008
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello :)

This is not possible, with the exception of the cPanel account username. It's configured this way so that the same username is not configured multiple times on the same system.

Thank you.
I understand the reasoning, but as the server admin I need to do it for one of my customers anyway. I'd prefer just using Web Disk since it's built-in but if cPanel doesn't allow it even with some sort of kludgy workaround, would enabling WebDav cause a conflict? One way or the other I need to make this work.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I am not aware of any workarounds to the existing behavior. Have you considered any other alternative methods of file management? You could submit a feature request via:

Submit A Feature Request

Thank you.

KC-Bill

Nov 12, 2008
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I will look into a feature request, but in the short term I need a solution for my customer. I can't consider alternates, as my customer is trying to get his site to integrate with a 3rd party app which only supports a few connection options, WebDav being the only viable one (other options are things like Google Drive, Microsoft Skydrive, things like that).

The other part of my question was if I enabled WebDav in Apache, would that conflict with cPanel's Web Disk implementation?

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'll give that a shot instead then. Thanks for the assistance.
Apache WebDav tends to read and write files with the permissions of Apache, rather than the user that owns the directory. This means permissions on home directories and their sub directories need to be looser than advised.

I haven't checked with newer features like mod_ruid2 to see if that has changed.