Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Create "www" subdomain account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SoporteAs, Dec 4, 2017.

1. SoporteAs

SoporteAs Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I need to create an account which will only handle the www subdomain.
    The primary domain is managed by another account (in another server) and the www zone will be delegated to my WHM/Cpanel.
    I was able to create anysubdomain.domain.com, but failed to create www.domain.com as an account (it creates domain.com account instead of www.domain.com).

How can I create an account with domain www.domain.com?

Thanks.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You'd need to create the cPanel account for "domain.com" for this to work, as using "www" as the prefix is not supported when creating a new account. The "www" alias is automatically setup, and thus should still work as long as you point it to the IP address of the account on the cPanel server at the DNS host for the domain name.

Thank you.

3. SoporteAs

SoporteAs Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Michael, thanks for the answer. But I need to create a zone named www.domain.com as I will recieve a DNS delegation of the www subdomain.
    Is there any way (I don't mind messing with configuration files) to get www as an account?

Thanks.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The "www" prefix is automatically included as an alias, so you could create the account without the "www" prefix. Then, browse to "WHM >> Edit DNS Zone", select the DNS zone for the newly created domain name, and edit the "www" entry if you want it to resolve elsewhere. Would this accomplish what you are seeking?

Thank you.