The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Created an Account Failed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Penn, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Penn

Penn Member

Dec 12, 2012
    cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have just switched over to VPS hosting with Host Gator. I used to use shared and dedicating hosting before & have always used the same domain for my primary domain name. Host Gator transferred all my websites onto the VPS a few days ago and I've been getting to grips with the WHM. I found out yesterday that because all but my primary domains are add-ons, I'm not able to create individual accounts for these domain names, not unless I remove the add-on status. I've tried doing it with one of the websites today but ran into problems. The first thing I did was to delete the DNS zone for the domain I wanted to create an account for. I removed all the files from the server as well. However, when I try and create an account I get the following error message, any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Account Creation Status: failed
    Sorry, that domain is already setup (remove it from httpd.conf)
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You should not attempt to manually delete the DNS Zone and files for the addon domain names. Instead, you should first backup the account if you do not have any recent backups available. You could do this via a command such as:

# /scripts/pkgacct username
    Then, delete the addon domain name from cPanel and create it as a new account. Deleting the addon domain name from cPanel will not delete the data in the subdirectory associated with it if that's your primary concern.

Thank you.