Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Creating a wilcard sub-subdomain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by theNephilim, May 13, 2010.

1. theNephilim

theNephilim Registered

Creating a wildcard sub-subdomain? [*.subdomain.mydomain.com]

I'm a domain/site owner using CPanel 11.25.0-STABLE, trying to create a wildcard sub-subdomain in CPanel, like [*.subdomain.mydomain.com].

There's no problem creating an ordinary wildcard subdomain [*.mydomain.com], but even though CPanel lets me enter [*] and choose an existing subdomain [subdomain.mydomain.com] - and also reports that [*.subdomain.mydomain.com] was created - when I look at my subdomains, [*.mydomain.com] was created instead of [*.subdomain.mydomain.com].

There's no problem creating a named sub-subdomain like [sub.subdomain.domain.com].

What should/can I do, or in what direction should I point my web provider to fix this?

#1 theNephilim, May 13, 2010
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. serlex

serlex Well-Known Member

I don't know what could cause this, have you look at CPanel logs? I was able to created a wildcard subdomain without a problem with cPanel 11.25.0-S44718. I suggest you contact CPanel.

3. theNephilim

theNephilim Registered

As I am a site owner, using the CPanel frontend, I don't think I have access to the CPanel log. Should there be a 'local' CPanel log for my domain?

And just to be sure I made my problem clear - I have no problem creating an ordinary wildcard subdomain, the problem just relates to subdomains in 'deeper' hierarchies. A sub-subdomain. :)

I guess this has to do with some configuration setting/issue somewhere (maybe CPanel backend or httpd.conf?), and I would be greatful for any information helping me get my web host to fix this...

4. theNephilim

theNephilim Registered

Can anybody just confirm that this is even possible in the first place - creating a wildcard sub-subdomain like [*.subdomain.mydomain.com] in CPanel?

At the moment, I don't have access to an environment where I can test this (other than the CPanel setup not letting me do this).

#4 theNephilim, May 15, 2010
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
  5. Strongy

Strongy Registered

i encounted the same error while attempting to create *.sub.domain.com it created *.mydomain.com instead even though it said otherwise which is annoying.