The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating addon domains under a "non-real" account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by renchler, Oct 28, 2005.

1. renchler

renchler Member

i have a reseller account, user has 2 domains, let's say rabbitshop1.com and rabbitshop2.com.

we want to set up the accounts by making a "parrent" account under the reseller called "RabbitShopContainer.com" and then make rabbitshop1.com and rabbitshop2.com as addon domains under that RabbitShopContainer.com account, just for cleaner organization.

Note that RabbitShopContainer.com is not a real domain!

My problem is that this is not working - the addon domains don't seem to resolve - i.e. you can't get to them by typing url www.rabbitshopt1.com; it seems to server nameserver doesnt like it.

The strange thing is that i have another account (though not reseller), which uses EXACTLY this stregy, fake parent account and addons underneath, and it works perfectly.

any thoughts on why it works in one case and not now, and how to fix?

thank you.

2. renchler

renchler Member

another way to ask this:

would pages of an account be accesible if i create an account with a nonregistered domain name, but park a registered domain name on it?

e.g. create account zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.com and never register zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.com but park 'realregistereddomain.com' on it (and make addon 'realreigsteredaddon.com' domains on it), - should people be able to get to the 'realregistereddomain.com' account and the addons? do i have to do anything special to get that to work?

3. renchler

renchler Member

just to confirm:

you can do this, it's not a problem at all.
    tech support from my hosting provider was simply wrong when they said it couldn't be done. it was nameserver misconfiguration that was prventing it from working.