The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

creating auto-bcc rules for OUTgoing emails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by famousb, Jun 17, 2008.

1. famousb

famousb Registered

Greetings all,
    first post here, so wish me luck...

i've got a hosting account using cPanel (account is hosted through a reseller on HostGator), where i need to have all outgoing emails cc'ed or bcc'ed to separate addresses. (eg. user1@domain.com would forward to user.one@otherdomain.com, user2@domain.com would forward user.two@domain.com)

i had found a tidbit on searching through this forum of:
    but unfortunately i DON'T have access to the exim setting through this account - i was told i would need a dedicated box (which is out of the question).

is there another way to do this? maybe through a Perl or CGI module? currently i'm setting up auto-bcc's through their email clients, but that's only good if they don't use webmail or cellphones, etc... so i'd rather have it set up on the server so i know it's guaranteed.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Kind Regards and TIA!

2. Serra

Serra Well-Known Member

Not really because the mail goes directly to Exim from the user, then out of the system to the recipient. There is no way to inject a script.

Basically, incoming mail is easy to deal with, but outgoing mail isn't something a non-dedicated user can really change.

As a reseller, you might strongly consider moving to a dedicated server as it allows you to offer full service to your clients.

3. famousb

famousb Registered

unfortunately i'm not the reseller, i'm just the web guy that somehow got thrown into figuring this out...

the site is small, and a dedicated box is expensive, so unfortunately i think it's out of the question...

but thank you for your response, i will see what else i can figure out.

4. Serra

Serra Well-Known Member

There isn't a good way to do this as you don't have the access. The real issue is you don't control any of the process, the mail server nor the client.

Your best solution would be to take control of part of the process. As you can't really take control of the client, you should try to take control of the mail server.

If a dedicated is out of the question, then you need to go to something like an exchange server or an MX forwarding type of thing. You need to control something in order to do this. Basically, if you need this, you will need to spend some money to make it happen. Running your own SMTP or exchange server seems like your only option.

5. KarenP

KarenP Member

Auto BCC for the Entire Domain

Is it possible to have this done for a complete Domain ?
    So that emails from all the Email Addresses for that domain gets BCC'ed To a email Address. ie anything@example.com Bcc'ed TO myaddress@mydomain.com

Thanks In advance.

6. Serra

Serra Well-Known Member

http://wiki.exim.org/FAQ/Miscellaneous/Q5033

Answer

The most straightforward way is to set up a system filter, and include a command such as:

unseen deliver mailbox@whatever.domain

This sends a copy of every message to mailbox@whatever.domain (unless the message already has that recipient - Exim never does duplicate deliveries). To save only outgoing messages, you need to come up with a definition of what outgoing means. Typically, this might be a check on the sender address and/or on the originating host. Here is an example:

if $sender_address_domain is mydomain.com and
    ${mask:$sender_host_address/24} is 192.168.124.0/24
    then
    unseen deliver mailbox@whatever.domain
    endif

7. rainbow2009

rainbow2009 Registered

pret auto
    ;);):) Thanks Sera for your guide^^. Best regards

8. TapanB

TapanB Active Member

Hello,