The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating client accounts as root

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DavidR, Jan 3, 2005.

1. DavidR

DavidR Well-Known Member

I have a VPS where I have individual hosting clients only, no resellers. I have been logging into WHM as root, then creating my client accounts with root being the reseller. I did this because it seemed straightforward and easiest to work with. I also couldn't find anything in my google searches that spoke to the practice one way or the other (which might just mean that it's really stupid but I hope not). Are there any compelling reasons to first create a "reseller" account and then use that to create my client accounts? Is the way I am doing it inherently bad for some reason? I'm the only one on my box if that helps.

This is somewhat redundant from a post here http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?p=161518&posted=1#post161518. I rarely ever create duplicate questions in the same forum, but I thought since I found no references during my search, it would be good to create a question and answer thread for the next person like me that might want to know. Thanks!

David

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I can't see anything wrong with what you're doing given the constraints of cPanel. Adding an extra reseller level, if you don't need it, only exposes you to bugs in the reseller part of cPanel ;)

Obvious suggestions:

1. Only ever login to WHM through port 2087 (i.e. over SSL)

2. Use appropriately hard to guess root passwords (i.e. at least 8 chars, mixed-case alphas, numerics, nonalphanumerics).

3. Change your root password regularly (every month is a good idea) and change it again if you ever give it out to someone after they're done.