The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating First Account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by selfg, Jun 15, 2005.

1. selfg

selfg Member

I got cPanel installed and have followed the directions at webhostgear.com to tweak my installation. Thanks for that file - it saved me hours of work. I logged into WHM using my root access and have the server set the way I want it (other than a couple of additional tweaks I'll apply over the next week or two).

Now I'm not sure how to set up my first account. I have a single domain (xwing.cochise.edu) I will administer, but with several sub-domains.

When I attemp to reach cPanel on my site (xwing.cochise.edu:2082) I do not have a user accout or password to enter. I tried the root password, but it didn't work (I wouldn't have wanted to use it for this anyway).

I want to set up my "main" account so I can use cPanel (or, more importantly, give my admin assistant access so she can administer this domain). I will then set up DreamWeaver so we can FTP files into the server and create our main Web site. I can then log in as a regular user (not root) to create the various sub-domains I want.

When I currently access my domain via the web (xwing.cochise.edu) I see the standard "There is no Website Configured at this address" message. I want to change that.

I attempted to set up an account while logged into WHM as root, but it won't let me set up an account with the same name as the domain. How do I create my "main" account?

--George Self

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I assume xwing.cochise.edu is what you used for your server name. If so, you can't create a website (cpanel) account for that. The server name (or URL) has to be something unique.

You can put a website there, but can't give it a cpanel account. The website for your server URL is whatever you have at /usr/local/apache/htdocs.

3. sosgull

sosgull Registered

cochise.edu must be a fully resolved cpanel client on your server in order for you to get cpanel access for subdomains like xwing.cochise.edu.