The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating FTP accounts in subdomains with alternate docroot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jganders, Dec 14, 2009.

1. jganders

jganders Registered

Jul 6, 2009
    Before I ask the title question about setting up a new subdomain FTP user in a private docroot, I need to explain.

For security and logistical reasons, I need to establish a subdomain that has its own docroot. I've been able to do this using the following steps.
    I shelled into my Cpanel account that owns I did a mkdir to create a new directory 'private_html'.
    So in /home/mydomain I have these directories (amongst others):
    public_html (the domain docroot) and
    private_html (soon to be the docroot for a subdomain called 'private'.

In the private_html directory I created an index.html file. It contains the text 'hello world'.

To initially create an entry in the Apache config file for the new subdomain 'private', I logged into Cpanel and created a subdomain called 'private'. Of course, this process created a new directory /home/mydomain/public_html/private. I deleted this directory because I dont want it there. To tell Apache about my new docroot for 'private', I logged into root shell and edited the apache config file httpd.conf. I found the VirtualHost tag for the ServerName which was
    I changed the DocumentRoot for this entry from
    /home/mydomain/public_html/private -to-

I saved and restarted Apache
    Now I can browse to The browser correctly reports 'hello world'.

But now Cpanel can not create an FTP account using the new directory.
    IE: Using Cpanel I want to create a new FTP account that can access

When I use Cpanel to try to do this, on the 'Add FTP account' page, Cpanel hard codes the directory field with '/home/mydomain/public_html'. This does not allow me to set an ftproot for the new account to my new private_html directory.

Thanx for you help.