The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

creating FTP site with multiple users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rammcy, Jan 1, 2006.

1. rammcy

rammcy Member

I've created FTP accounts for multiple users. But everytime I go to the FTP (ftp.mydomain.com) the login box is not popping up for the specific user to login. There's a folder created under File Manager that will hold for any files with the set of permission. But why I cannot get into it? Please help ...Thanks

2. david510

david510 Well-Known Member

Hello,

once you give a login info for a particular account, it gets cached. Please close the browser and take and take again.

3. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

Or do a refresh of the browser. For most that is a "Control F5", but maybe not all (like Mac, etc.)

4. rammcy

rammcy Member

I appreciate the response. But I still cannot open it. This is what I've done so far. I created an account from FTP manager and created then created a folder with the same username on the File Manager under public_ftp and put 755 permission. Everytime I tried to go to the ftp.mydomain.com it's giving me a message of "Windows cannot access this folder. Make sure you type the filename correctly and you have permission to access the folder." Please help.

5. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Are you using just the username, or username@domain.com? I believe that you'll need the former for it to work correctly.

Also, does ftp.domain.com actually exist? Have you tried just domain.com, i.e., ftp://domain.com ?

6. lloyd_tennison

Are you trying to use Internet Explorer? That is what it sounds like. Use an ftp client. If you have to use IE - are you actually trying to login (|File|Login?)

7. rammcy

rammcy Member

I've created a username@domain.com account. I'm also using IE to login to the FTP site because we have several clients that we want to have access to the site to their specific folder and upload their files. Everytime I go into our FTP site which is ftp.domain.com or ftp://domain.com it gives the message "Windows cannot access this folder. Make sure you type the filename correctly and you have permission to access the folder." I never get the login box to type in my username and password. It pops this message right away. Did I set it up right? Or am I missing something that I need to do first so that I can access the FTP site. Basically what I'm trying to do is give several FTP account and when they login they can only access their folder or better yet don't see other users folder except for their folder. I appreciate your help guys.

8. rpuskarcik

rpuskarcik Registered

ftp

I am having a similar problem using msie. I set up an Anonymous account in cpanel and can't log in. I get errors 220 and 530 "This is a private system - No anonymous login"

9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Is anonymous FTP enabled in WHM and is the site on a dedicated IP address?

10. rammcy

rammcy Member

I'm got my cpanel from my domain provider where I also my domain name. How do I check if the anonymous FTP is enabled or not?

11. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

You should be asking your hosting provider these questions as they will be able to fix your ftp problems.
    :)

12. lloyd_tennison

Are you actually logging in from IE? You have to login with your username and password as it does not sound like an anonymous login - otherwise you would not be creating the account, generally. If you are not getting the box that asks you for username and password - login by going to File |Login at the pulldown menus. IE will generally NOT ask you for a login while using as ftp.

Better yet, a a free ftp client and that will solve your problems. Filezilla is great.

13. rammcy

rammcy Member

Downloaded FileZilla and it worked right away. Now I just need to setup FileZilla on each client that we have then it's done. Thanks Lloyd! I really appreciate it. But why is not IE gives you that logon screen? But if I created an FTP site using Windows it pops up for you. Is it bec of the different OS? Thanks again.