The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating Nameserver etc.

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Eliteshare, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Eliteshare

Eliteshare Registered

ok, i have a VDS
    i have my domain pointed to the ns1 and ns2 of the server.
    i have my domain name set to cname where its registered.

Now please all, yes im slow and new to this, so be nice lol

i want to enable my ns1 and ns2 for my hosting. Everthing else is already done.

Do i just edit the zone file for my domain?

hence change ns1.old.com to ns1.mydomain.com etc?

what are the steps to changeing it o allow me to use my ns?

2. Eliteshare

Eliteshare Registered

Like i said, im new to all this.
    This is what i did in the past for shared hosting accounts.

i forwarded the domain to thier server. then where my domain is registered (1and1), i changed the cname to mydomainname.com

then on the forwarded server, the administrator set it to show ns1.mydomain.com ns2.mydomain.com

i dont know how to set it up on the server part. im new to the root access art. i have always used shared accounts.

hope this is easier to understand. thank you

3. eNetHosts

eNetHosts Well-Known Member

Go into your WHM and click on Basic Setup at the top. Where is says primary nameserver type ns1.domain.tld and where it says secondary nameserver type ns2.domain.tld

Next to both of the lines you just typed you will see insert A record, click and follow the prompts.

Do the same for assign IP next to the two nameserver lines. Then at the bottom of Basic Setup click save.

4. Eliteshare

Eliteshare Registered

See this is why im confused. The hosting provider told me to chaange the dns zone file, where it shows ns1.thierdomain.com to ns1.mydomain.com etc. for ns2

i would hate to have to have them reinstall something because i mesed it up.

also, there are 7 other accounts (only reseller accounts without root) o this VPS. If i change basic cpanel/whm settings will thier info be changed uto? or whats gonna happen if i change only the dns zone file?

im a retard ! lol

EDIT:

Ok this is what i did!

i created 2 A records in the dns zone file

ns1 14400 IN A 00.00.00.00
    ns2 14400 IN A 00.00.00.00
    (note the 00 will be your 2 ips)

then i saved the ns zone file.

i then went to the reseller center. chose the reseller i wanted to edit. chose the edit privs and nameserver button

scrolled to the bottom and in primary i put ns1.mydomain.com secondary ns2.mydomain.com

saved the file

i then tested it by forwarding a domain i had already, and did not receive an error. so this must have worked.

if this is not the correct way, please let me know. but seemed to work for me.

#4 Eliteshare, Jun 5, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  5. eNetHosts

eNetHosts Well-Known Member

No VPS Servers are totally cut off from others they just share resources.

The A records creation and reseller center nameservers - you were correct in doing. You just need to ensure basic setup reflects your nameservers too and then it sounds like you're all sorted.