Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Creating Nameservers behind NAT

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by fgjr, Oct 31, 2014.

1. fgjr

fgjr Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi All...

Please forgive me as I'm a little new. I've owned plenty of cPanel / WHM dedicated servers in the past, but they have all been at data centers. This is the first time I'm creating a new dedicated server of my own and doing it behind a NAT.

My question has to do with name servers and using NAT. I've built a CentOS server and used the image provided by cPanel with cPanel/WHM built into the image. I've started configuring the server from within WHM and I've gotten to step 4 where you specify name servers. Should I be using private name servers ( DNS servers ) that I have in my private LAN that route to outside DNS servers when local lookup of domains fail, or do I still need to create outside world public name servers and specify those within Step 4?

I really appreciate any help someone can give me.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello :)

Yes, you should create public name servers at your registrar using public IP addresses and specify those on step four.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. fgjr

fgjr Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks cPanelMichael for your answer. A quick follow up question...

Do I then need to take those public IP addresses and have them 1:1 Nat back to my server behind the firewall? I'm assuming the answer to this is yes but want to make sure :)

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello :)

You should add those IP addresses directly to your server and configure any custom network/firewall configurations as needed. Per our documentation:

When you install cPanel & WHM, the installer will detect whether your server is on a NAT-configured network. If the installer detects a NAT-configured network, your server will configure itself for NAT mode and attempt to automatically map local IP addresses to public IP addresses.

You can find the full document at:

1:1 NAT

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...