The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating new user, IP question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sivac, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Sivac

Sivac Member

Mar 7, 2003
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm new to hosting (reseller) and still learning as I go along.

One thing I'm not sure about:

I have 3 new domains / accounts and all three have the same IP number, just different "/~usernames" but they respective domain names target to the accounts properly, so it all works fine.

Now, I want to add another account, however, towards the bottom of the page I have option to select IP number from the list of about 10 or so numbers. But it says "only for new IP-based accounts" On the top of the page I have a tick-box where it says "IP" Somewhere in WHM manuals it says if this is ticked you can't use domain names for that account. (???)

Now I am completely confused. Should I leave that unticked and select one of the available numbers at the bottom of the page or let it do the autoassign. I did it with auto before and all three domains have the same IP.

Thanks for help.

2. Annette

Annette Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2001
    If you tick the IP box, and leave the autoselect option in place, WHM will pick an IP from the available pool when you submit the create account form. Alternately, if you prefer to assign a specific IP out of the available pool for whatever reason, tick the box, choose the IP, and submit it. Use of an IP for an account or not has no bearing on the entry of a domain name into the requisite field.